Addis Ababa University's President, Professor Andreas Eshete, is establishing a human rights centre under the auspices of the university. According to sources close to him, he intends to make the centre a research and advocacy institute which counters Amnesty International. Andreas Eshete told some of his aides that AI was biased towards Ethiopia and the world should know that there was a growing respect to human freedom and equality in the country. "It will be the first human rights institute in the world which is created to fight another advocacy institution, " one of the aides told this blogger.
Many colleagues of Andreas Eshete are unhappy with Addis Ababa University's direct involvement in politics. "It is a scandal for this great institution that it is planning to stand against such a conscience of the world as AI. We are writing history which will embarrass our children, " one university professor laments. "what will be the first research work of the 'human rights' centre? A defense of human rights violations in the country?" another quips.
The president whose association with EPRDF is a public knowledge is expected to name the institute's chairman soon.
- ► 2007 (230)
- kinijit activist defects to Switzerland
- From paris a blogger speaks...Andrew Heavens denie...
- EPRDF kills a kid
- Police kills a young man escaping round-up
- Torture chamber closed
- TPLF starts Derg style "Affesa"
- The talented millenium celebration council
- Assefa Abrha's emotional statement sends court att...
- Andreas Eshete establishes a human rights center t...
- Aklilu Solomon, attorney in the Kinijit trial, def...
- More on Meles's message to CUD leaders
- ▼ December (11)