Details of Meles Zenawi's message to the jailed CUD leaders has emerged this weekend. Professor Ephrem Isaac met Hailu Sawel, Birhanu Nega, Birtukan Mideksa, Yacob Hailemariam and Gizachew Shiferaw three times in a week. According to prison sources, in the first two meetings, Professor Ephrem informed the prisoners Meles's demand that they quit politics to be released from prison. After a firm rejection from them, the prime minister sent a fresh message containing a demand from them to denounce the AFD and dissociate themselves from those who raised arms against his government including the OLF and ONLF. The prisoners told the professor that Kinijit's policy was to solve Ethiopia's problems by dialogue and engagement, not by denouncation of the country's political groups.
According to sources, the prisoners seemed to take this round of shuttle diplomacy with cautious optimism. The mediator Ephrem Issac was said to be truly non-partisan unlike the American charge d'affaires Vicki Huddlestone who tried to act as a mediator previously. This was the first time the prisoners met a mediator together.
- ► 2007 (230)
- kinijit activist defects to Switzerland
- From paris a blogger speaks...Andrew Heavens denie...
- EPRDF kills a kid
- Police kills a young man escaping round-up
- Torture chamber closed
- TPLF starts Derg style "Affesa"
- The talented millenium celebration council
- Assefa Abrha's emotional statement sends court att...
- Andreas Eshete establishes a human rights center t...
- Aklilu Solomon, attorney in the Kinijit trial, def...
- More on Meles's message to CUD leaders
- ▼ December (11)