(By Ethio-Zagol and Meqdela)
Donald Yamamoto, America’s mild-mannered Ambassador in Addis Ababa has thrown his weight behind the mediation efforts of Professor Ephraim Issac. The renowned Ethiopian linguist has started the mediation between the government and Kinijit leaders who have been in prison for a year and half now, but has been stung with accusations that he has so far failed to be even-handed mediator in trying to push the prisoners to accept whatever the government proposes. In the last proposal, the government asked CUD leaders to fill a form which makes all of them individually responsible for trying to overthrow the government. The prisoners have declined to sign the form.
In a letter addressed to professor Ephraim and obtained by a contributor to EZ Post, Ambassador Yamamoto, says he stands with the professor’s attempt to mediate between the two parties, and that he prays for the success of his attempt to make the prisoners sign the form. His letter also says the American Embassy will facilitate a medical travel to America by Kinijit’s Chairman, Hailu Shawel, and Ethiopia’s greatest human rights activist, Professor Mesfin Woldemariam.
Observers say that the Ambassdor’s stance is outrageous because he knows how Prime Minister Meles broke down the mediation after preliminary agreement was reached by the parties two weeks ago.
(Roha will be back with his views on Addis Ababa University on Wednesday.
- EZ WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK
- Shimeles Kemal Loses Out In MoJ Shake Up
- Arrest Exposes The Shady Dealings of The Internati...
- Good Cop, Bad Cop
- NY Times reporter released
- Breaking News: Ethiopian Government Arrests New Yo...
- Counterfeit Solomon Tekalign
- American ambassador pushes for guilty confession
- Mediation breaks again after EPRDF and political p...
- Anthony Mitchell, courageous journalist
- The limits of free speech
- Counselor Kevin Sullivan gets more power in US Emb...
- Zemedkun Tekle and Internet Blockage
- ▼ May (14)