Final efforts for mediation between the government and Ethiopia's famous political prisoners broke down last week due to Meles Zenawi's Intransigence. Hope that this time the mediation would be successful was high after preliminary agreement was reached between the parties last Tuesday. Meles Zenawi, however, sent a guilty form for the prisoners to be filled individually a day after the agreement was reached. The form states that the CUDP council members admit that they have tried to subvert the constitutional order. The prisoners refused to sign the form.
Sources who have closely followed the mediation said that the blame squarely lied on the mediators who didn't even censure Meles Zenawi when he went back on his agreement a day after he made it. "Meles is playing a game here. He doesn't want to release them, but at the same time, he wants to alleviate foreign pressure. The tactic is to appear as if he were involved in mediation without doing anything. The mediators are chickens in this game," one source said.
- EZ WILL BE BACK NEXT WEEK
- Shimeles Kemal Loses Out In MoJ Shake Up
- Arrest Exposes The Shady Dealings of The Internati...
- Good Cop, Bad Cop
- NY Times reporter released
- Breaking News: Ethiopian Government Arrests New Yo...
- Counterfeit Solomon Tekalign
- American ambassador pushes for guilty confession
- Mediation breaks again after EPRDF and political p...
- Anthony Mitchell, courageous journalist
- The limits of free speech
- Counselor Kevin Sullivan gets more power in US Emb...
- Zemedkun Tekle and Internet Blockage
- ▼ May (14)