MPs of the surrogate Kinijit which was formed with the help of the American embassy in Addis are in disarray. Some members of the party are leading a coup against the TPLF-backed leadership of Temesgen Zewde and Mohammed. Yesterday these members distributed leaflets which stated that the Teletafi kinijit was acting against the true leaders of the party who are in prison. They claimed that they supported the creation of a new Kinijit because it was promised by the coordinators that the aim of the organization would be fighting for the release of the legitimate leaders and handing over power to them when it accomplished that aim. "Now the leaflet, " asserted, "these coordinators are acting in a way that betrays the leaders."
Both Temesgen Zewde and Mohammed had been in negotiation with government about parliamentary procedures. It was also reported that Temesgen Zewde asked the government to give the leaders of the surrogate Kinijit protection against attacks by the supporters of the real Kinijit.
- ► 2007 (230)
- Systematic harassment of the prisoners
- A power sharing deal on the air? I like this
- Lidetu and Temesgen to campaign against HR 5680
- Muslims protest at Arat kilo
- Policemen fear being used for Meles Zenawi's misad...
- Professor Mesfin's moral courage
- Peasants forced to become EPRDF members
- TPLF will continue repression
- Plea from jailed leaders as their health condition...
- Parliamentary Kinijit in disarray
- Birhanu Nega's health condition relapses
- ▼ July (11)