Peasants in the Amhara region are being forced to join ANDM. According to sources, particularly in western Gojam where kinijit won by a landslide , ANDM cadres threaten and blackmail farmers to be the member of the organization. The farmers are also required to pay 3 birr as a registration fee.
After Amnesty International reported its concern about Birhanu Nega's health, the court which is hearing the prosecutor's case against Kinijit finally ordered prison authorities to move Birhanu to a less suffocated and more ventiallted cell. Last week, the same court had refused Birhanu's request for the transfer citing jurisidictional grounds.
The public prosecutor asked the court today to present a new 900 pages document as an evidence against the Kinijit leaders, journalists and civil society members who are accused of false charges of high treason and attempted genocide. The court as expected granted the prosecutor's request.
- ► 2007 (230)
- Systematic harassment of the prisoners
- A power sharing deal on the air? I like this
- Lidetu and Temesgen to campaign against HR 5680
- Muslims protest at Arat kilo
- Policemen fear being used for Meles Zenawi's misad...
- Professor Mesfin's moral courage
- Peasants forced to become EPRDF members
- TPLF will continue repression
- Plea from jailed leaders as their health condition...
- Parliamentary Kinijit in disarray
- Birhanu Nega's health condition relapses
- ▼ July (11)