Scores of young protestors clashed with the police at the Meskel ceremony in Addis today. The security at the Meskel square was the tightest ever. Abuna paulos left the procession in a hurry without making the traditional speech of the patriarch. "Thief, Thief," was chanted when he left the place. The protestors pelted police cars and NOC fuel stations with rocks and shouted a call for the release of CUD leaders. Some were driven to the Haya-Hulet area and others to the Stadium area by police men and soldiers who were in their thousands. Plain-clothed security personnel were also involved in beating up and arresting protestors. In the stadium area, at least twenty were detained.
Eskinder Firew of the VOA had more on the protests on today's Amharic News Magazine.
- ► 2007 (230)
- Teased by bloggers
- Police clashes with scores of protestors
- Breaking News:Thousands of Soldiers swarm the Mesk...
- CD Calendar lands Forty in jail
- The story of the Civil disobedience Calendar
- Political prisoners protest limitation on visitati...
- Spy Kids
- TPLF puts its tentacles into high schools
- Hi-Tech suppression: part two
- TO MY ETHIOPIAN SISTERS AND BROTHERS
- Conditions worsen for jailed Kinijit leaders as th...
- Breaking News: Defections, defections, defections
- Bereket suffers a second stroke
- Meles back after visiting Bereket in hospital
- Update on Berket Simon's health
- ▼ September (15)