Yalemzewd Bekele, Fasil Assefa and another unnamed individual will be back to Addis Ababa tomorrow. The Federal police will be in charge of investigating their "crimes". Sources said that they will be at a more risk of torture under the custody of federal police. The EC delegation in Addis Ababa, Yalemzewd's employer, isn't following the case seriously despite Amnesty International's warning that she may face torture and reports in this blog that the Ethiopian Government was spying on the institution before the expulsion of the two diplomats and the arrest of Yalemzewd. This blogger has identified the senior official who asked Yalemzewd to leave the commission's office while she was staying there to avoid arrest. According to EC sources, it was the delegation's chief Timothy Clark. He assured her that he would follow her case with government officals but didn't do anything before her arrest.
Fasil Assefa is identified as a Unity University Management Information Systems student. He was arrested while sleeping at his hotel. The Ethiopian government falsely claimed that Fasil was taken into custody while he was trying to cross the Ethiopian border with Yalemzewd.
See more on EC espionage here and here
Call to action:
Please tell Ambassador Timothy Clark that his institution has a responsiblity to take Yalemzewd's case seriously and protect her from state violence.
-Head of Delegation to Ethiopia
-Tim ClarkeTel: +251-11-661 2511Fax: +251-11-661 2877
-Main switchboard phone number: +32-2-299 1111
- ► 2007 (230)
- EC intervens to save Yalemzewd
- Yalemzewd released
- Yalemzewd taken to a torture chamber
- Comedy in parliament and court
- Family denied access to jailed Ethiopian human rig...
- Latest on Yalemzewd Bekele
- More on EC espionage
- Alert and Breaking News: Ethiopian Government's bi...
- A prominent human rights campaigner arrested
- The report and its relevance
- Meles rejects observer's report
- Breaking News: Alemayehu tortured... Save Alemayeh...
- Police arrest a local businessman
- Ginbot 97
- Government moves to cover up political murder
- Another EC snub
- Ethiopia's dictator snubbed by EC
- ▼ October (17)