Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Another EC snub
Jose Manuel Barroso, the president of European Commission, skipped a scheduled signing ceremony with Ethiopia's illegitimate dictator, Meles Zenawi, for the 155 million euro granted by the EU to the road project in Ethiopia. He also cancelled a joint press conference with the prime Minister, diplomatic sources told this blogger. The Commissioner's request to meet the CUD leaders in kaliti was turned down by the Prime Minister who said that the EPRDF Central Committee had decided that the prisoners would not be visited by foreign dignitaries until the trial is over. Diplomatic sources said that Barroso, the former Prime Minister of Portugal, was annoyed with Meles's response. The two had hours of one-on-one talk about the prisoners and democracy in Ethiopia. Barroso was said to be very frank about Ethiopia's lack of democracy to TPLF officials.
- ► 2007 (230)
- EC intervens to save Yalemzewd
- Yalemzewd released
- Yalemzewd taken to a torture chamber
- Comedy in parliament and court
- Family denied access to jailed Ethiopian human rig...
- Latest on Yalemzewd Bekele
- More on EC espionage
- Alert and Breaking News: Ethiopian Government's bi...
- A prominent human rights campaigner arrested
- The report and its relevance
- Meles rejects observer's report
- Breaking News: Alemayehu tortured... Save Alemayeh...
- Police arrest a local businessman
- Ginbot 97
- Government moves to cover up political murder
- Another EC snub
- Ethiopia's dictator snubbed by EC
- ▼ October (17)