Addis Ababa university's instructors are holding their breathe as reports that "several" will be dismissed circulate throughout the campuses. At least seven will be dismissed from the law faculty, sources told this blogger.
Meles Zenawi has long considered the university as a bastion of opposition to his rule; and recent events have increased his suspicion to the country's biggest and most famous university. Many opposition party leaders are either the university's current members or had been teaching there in the past.
The university's administration, led by Andreas Eshete, has been giving most scholarship opportunities abroad to Meles loyalists in the university in the hope that they will fill the void left by dismissed instructors once they return from their studies.
- Comedy producer arrested
- Torture at Mae'kelawi
- Defections continue as political dissent remains a...
- Political dissident shot to death
- Breaking news: Protestors call for the release of ...
- Somali media under attack
- Breaking news: Talks between Meles and Kinijit lea...
- We are now the "crusaders"
- Old habits die hard
- University instructors anticipate dismissal
- ▼ January (10)