Ethiopia's dictator, Meles Zenawi, rejected the interim observation report of Michael Elman, European Commission's observer, regarding the trial of CUD leaders, civil society members and journalists. In a meeting with the Ambassadors of the EU Troika and the commission's representative here in Addis, Timothy Clark, Meles lambasted the observation report as biased and unfounded on facts. The observer had criticized the way the court conducted the trial as unfair. Meles who rejected the report of the European Election Observers Mission last year requested to meet Mr. Elman, a renowned British human rights lawyer to make his case against the report.
When the election report by EU's mission went against him, Meles started a personal assault against the head of the mission, Ana Gomes.
Will he again write a letter to the editor of the Ethiopian Herald attacking the human rights lawyer?
- ► 2007 (230)
- EC intervens to save Yalemzewd
- Yalemzewd released
- Yalemzewd taken to a torture chamber
- Comedy in parliament and court
- Family denied access to jailed Ethiopian human rig...
- Latest on Yalemzewd Bekele
- More on EC espionage
- Alert and Breaking News: Ethiopian Government's bi...
- A prominent human rights campaigner arrested
- The report and its relevance
- Meles rejects observer's report
- Breaking News: Alemayehu tortured... Save Alemayehu!
- Police arrest a local businessman
- Ginbot 97
- Government moves to cover up political murder
- Another EC snub
- Ethiopia's dictator snubbed by EC
- ▼ October (17)