Doctors who carried out medical tests confirmed that professor Mesfin is suffering from pneumonia. He has loss of appetite, decreased activity and breathing difficulties. When two days ago he was taken to hospital, eye witnesses said that he could barely walk. Pneumonia is a common lung infection at the Kaliti jail where hundreds of people live in one cell. Police hospital sources claimed that the 76 years old academic and human rights activist is now in a better condition
The 32 year old CUDP secretary, Muluneh Eyuel, is put back to the solitary confinement. It was reported that he had strong words for US charge d'affaires Vicki Huddlestone when she asked him to make a written acceptance of the constitution as a precondition for reconciliation negotiation. He was later told by prison security that what he did to the diplomat was unacceptable. The solitary confinement is, according to sources, a punishment for that. Muluneh was in solitary confinement where light was unavailable in April and May.
The number of political prisoners being taken solitary confinement is increasing. Yesterday, Editor of Ethiop newspaper, Sisay Agena., was also taken to kerchelle and put in solitary cell. CUDP council member, Andualem Arage, and journalist Eskinder Nega have been in solitary jail for three weeks now.
- ► 2007 (230)
- To Mesfin Woldemariam: the single most important ...
- Breaking News: Bereket Simon in critical condition
- "Gimigema" in the army
- Zenawi's cadres fan ethnic clash at Jimma university
- Army security moves to identify dissenters
- Call to action: Muluneh Eyuel brutalized
- Professor Mesfin suffers from Pneumonia
- Breaking News:Professor Mesfin in hospital
- TPLF's knee-jerk reaction for the defection of top...
- Kinijit is back!
- The power of a single book
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking News: Vicky Huddlestone meets prisoners;a...
- Update on Hailu Shawel's health
- Girma Bekele and his cynical lie
- Review of Brehanu's Book: Part one
- Birhanu Nega writes a book; a book that rekindles ...
- Injustice on political prisoners
- A psychopath in charge of Ethiopian justice
- Breaking news:A top Ministry of Justice official d...
- ▼ August (20)