Incarcerated CUD leaders will make enforcement of the eight points they stipulated as pre-conditions to joining parliament their priority if and when they are released from prison, Kaliti sources informed EZ Post. The party set the eight preconditions as fundamental principles underpinning democracy in Ethiopia. "These are our mantra. In or out, they are the guiding principles of our struggle," one prisoner was quoted as saying.
The leaders are, however, concerned that Meles Zenawi's recent propaganda may be affecting their work by sewing confusion among the Ethiopian people. According to Kaliti sources, the state media here is showing part of a deal that is signed by the leaders. Meles Zenawi's denouncement of the court decision, his avowal to open political space, and his promise to release them before sentencing and other commitments haven't appeared in the document being displayed by the media. The leaders have asked the Ethiopian people to wait patiently until they provide what they say is "the true spirit of the deal."
Breaking news: The president of Ethiopia will announce the release of the prisoners today.
- They are released
- Kinijit leaders reaffirm their commitment to the e...
- UNECA blocks Ethio-Zagol Post
- Case referred to amnesty board
- Will Meles release the prisoners?
- Reuters Journalist Gets Good Story from Life Impri...
- Breaking news: Court sentences CUD leaders to life...
- Siye, The Healer
- Yalemzewd Bekele free on bail
- Siye Abraha released
- Human Rights Activist and Businessman Charged of A...
- Final Statement of the Prosecution
- ▼ July (13)