The Federal Supreme Court today sentenced former defense minister Siye Abraha to five years imprisonment on charges of corruption. Since Siye has already been in jail for more than five years, he will be released. Siye, who many suspect, was jailed by the Meles administration because of his serious differences with the Prime Minister on the issues of Ethiopian sovereignty, looked happy when the decision was read by the court.
The court sentenced the other defendants on the case, Fitsumzeab Asgedom, Beshah Azmete, Assefa Abaha and Tamrat Layne to five years, eight years, nine years, and three months imprisonment respectively. It means Fitsumzeab will also be released.
I am still unconvinced that Siye deserves the five years sentence. But expecting justice in Ethiopia at the moment is a joke. So I am glad that he is out.
- They are released
- Kinijit leaders reaffirm their commitment to the e...
- UNECA blocks Ethio-Zagol Post
- Case referred to amnesty board
- Will Meles release the prisoners?
- Reuters Journalist Gets Good Story from Life Impri...
- Breaking news: Court sentences CUD leaders to life...
- Siye, The Healer
- Yalemzewd Bekele free on bail
- Siye Abraha released
- Human Rights Activist and Businessman Charged of A...
- Final Statement of the Prosecution
- ▼ July (13)