The American charge d'affaires here in Addis, Vicky Huddlestone met detained Kinijit leaders yesterday and asked for a negotiation for reconciliation which will lead to their release. According to prison sources, Mrs. Huddlestone offer included an agreement by the leaders to abidse by the constitution, start negotiation and be released from jail. The offer was rejected by the prisoners as it wasn't unconditional.
Although the charge d' affairs talked with several leaders separately, the resonse from all of them was the same. The leaders told Mrs. Huddlestone that they had already accepted to work under the constitution on Kinijit's election manifesto and won last year's election which was held in accordance to the constitution and, therefore, the request for them to agree their acceptance of the constitution was irrelevant. They also demanded that the reconciliation had to be national, including several other actors in the country's politics, to bring peace and democracy in Ethiopia.
EPRDF is currently under serious internal and external pressure. Protests are spreading to the army which insiders say is on the brink of a big split. The adventure of TPLF's army into Somalia hasn't been supported by most Ethiopians. Congressman Donald Payne's visit this week epitomized EPRDF's crisis. The ranking democrat in the house foreign relations committee told the prime minister in black and white that he had to release all political prisoners.
Kinijit leaders were adamant that Vicky Huddlestone should see them together if she would make another visit.
After a long absence, Adebabay seems to be woken up by Birhanu Nega's book.
- ► 2007 (230)
- To Mesfin Woldemariam: the single most important ...
- Breaking News: Bereket Simon in critical condition
- "Gimigema" in the army
- Zenawi's cadres fan ethnic clash at Jimma university
- Army security moves to identify dissenters
- Call to action: Muluneh Eyuel brutalized
- Professor Mesfin suffers from Pneumonia
- Breaking News:Professor Mesfin in hospital
- TPLF's knee-jerk reaction for the defection of top...
- Kinijit is back!
- The power of a single book
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking News: Vicky Huddlestone meets prisoners;a...
- Update on Hailu Shawel's health
- Girma Bekele and his cynical lie
- Review of Brehanu's Book: Part one
- Birhanu Nega writes a book; a book that rekindles ...
- Injustice on political prisoners
- A psychopath in charge of Ethiopian justice
- Breaking news:A top Ministry of Justice official d...
- ▼ August (20)