On August 11, 2006, the Secretary of CUDP, Muluneh Eyuel, who with other leaders of the party is falsely accused of treason and attempted genocide by the Ethiopian government, met the American Charge d'affaires in Addis Ababa, Ambassador Vicki Huddlestone. The ambassador told Ato Muluneh that the way forward for Ethiopia was reconciliation between the government and the jailed leaders of CUDP. When Muluneh reminded the Mrs. Huddlestone that his party had always stretched its hands for talks, the ambassador replied that it is still possible to have talks if he and his colleagues in writing accept the country's constitution. It was reported that Muluneh angrily said to her that she wasn't serious enough to be an honest broker.
A week after the meeting, a prison security personnel came to Muluneh's cell and order him to pack his belongings. He then took the 32 years old prisoner to solitary confinement where there are no lights and the sanitation is extremely poor. Muluneh was in the same jail in April and May and suffered serious eye-sight problems due to the lack of light in the confinement.
Prison sources indicated that Muluneh was put in a solitary confinement as a punishment for strongly disagreeing with Mrs. Huddlestone.
-Call, fax or e-mail the American State Department and inform them that a prisoner of conscience is being seriously brutalized by the Ethiopian government as a direct result of his interaction with the representative of the American government in Ethiopia
-Call, fax or e-mail Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch and inform them about Muluneh's ordeals.
PS: Ambassador Vicki Huddlestone is currently on vacation in the US.
- ► 2007 (230)
- To Mesfin Woldemariam: the single most important ...
- Breaking News: Bereket Simon in critical condition
- "Gimigema" in the army
- Zenawi's cadres fan ethnic clash at Jimma university
- Army security moves to identify dissenters
- Call to action: Muluneh Eyuel brutalized
- Professor Mesfin suffers from Pneumonia
- Breaking News:Professor Mesfin in hospital
- TPLF's knee-jerk reaction for the defection of top...
- Kinijit is back!
- The power of a single book
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking News: Vicky Huddlestone meets prisoners;a...
- Update on Hailu Shawel's health
- Girma Bekele and his cynical lie
- Review of Brehanu's Book: Part one
- Birhanu Nega writes a book; a book that rekindles ...
- Injustice on political prisoners
- A psychopath in charge of Ethiopian justice
- Breaking news:A top Ministry of Justice official d...
- ▼ August (20)