Finally..........yes, Finally.....Dr. Mulualem Tarekegne has understood how joining the parliament undermined the CUD leaders in prison. Well, she didn't even say that in those words.
I don't know whether the defection of Dr. Mulualem to Sweden can be seen as positive or opportunistic. But here is her record.
Prior to May 2005..... Mulualem had appeared on live debate about agricultural policy and wooed the public with her eloquence, passion and beauty. She immediately step out of her husband's shadow and became a rising star in Ethiopian politics. She was elected to parliament with resounding majority.
May 2005-August 2005.....Dr. Mulualem continued her charm politics on the private media, developing her trust and likeability.
August 2005.......After internal intrigues, Dr. Mulualem was handpicked by Lidetu Ayalew to represent UEDP Medhin in CUDP's executive committee.
September 2005......Dr. Mulualem voted not to join parliament unless CUDP's eight points precondition weren't met.
-Dr. Mulualem supported Lidetu Aylew in his fight with the top leaders of CUDP. Her argument was that Lidetu was hurt by the party
October 2005... Lidetu, Mulualem, Mesfin Ayalew, Mushe Semu and Abdurhaman(all from UEDP) start serious disagreement with the leaders of the party. They were boycotting meetings and talking about the dissolution of Kinijit.
-Lidetu was suspended from the party. Mesfin, Mushe and Abdurhaman stuck with him. Mulualem stopped talking, but .
October 2005-February 2006.... Dr. Mulualem continued her relationship with Lidetu. She visited the prisoners a handful of times. She wasn't trusted though.
February 2006....Mulualem joined parliament and the CUD caucus which was formed illegally with the help of EPRDF and the American embassy. She joined parliament despite her vote not to join in September... and despite that vote landing the leaders in jail.
Judge for yourself.
- SOS: Cry of help from brothers in torture chamber...
- Forum rules... Again!
- The Meles adminstration plans Information offensiv...
- Team of lawyers to write decisions for judges in p...
- The Economist's sword on Meles
- Staying positive
- Dr. Mulualem defects to Sweden... Yeah?
- Family Affair
- EZ diary: Meles and the docs
- For readers of this blog in Ethiopia
- Lawyer released by court after a year in detention...
- Maekelawi stories CONTINUED...
- More arrests and tortures at Mae'kelawi
- AI's report put the government on defensive
- Three journalists abandon TPLF's mouthpiece
- Breaking news: Tortured prisoners transferred to a...
- More on torture at Mae'kelawi
- ▼ February (17)