Young journalists have been flocking out of Reporter, TPLF's prominent mouthpiece.
The latest group of reporters and editors who have left the declining media owned by former TPLF fighters, Amare Aregawi, include journalist Berhane Alemu. Berhane worked at Reporter for more than ten years, ascending to senior editorial position. Two senior reporters, Tsion Girma and Firew Abebe also left the organization last week.
According to sources, the owner and editor-in-chief of the paper has stifled freedom of speech at Reporter after hiss paper weighed in the May 2005 election supporting EPRDF. Journalists have been banned from reporting human rights abuses by the Meles government.
Amare allegedly leads a new network of EPRDF sympathizers who pose as independent journalists and scholars to foreign diplomats and journalists. "It is a creative propaganda machine. People like Amare and Costentinos Berhe approach diplomats and journalists and criticize the government. Then they argue that the opposition, including jailed Kinijit leaders, is worse. This is a strategy, which leaves foreigners thinking that despite all its problems, EPRDF is the best Ethiopians can get, without putting the independence of the messengers in doubt, "a TPLF insider told this blogger.
And this systematic approach to propaganda is working. Important visitors like Donald Levin had been deceived by the machine. Amare has also become the Ethiopian representative for some prominent international organizations including Transparency International.
Comedian Daniel Fisseha was released from jail on Saturday after this blog reported his arrest. Police sources said that the decision to release was taken when the US embassy enquired about the arrest. Daniel is a US citizen.
- SOS: Cry of help from brothers in torture chamber
- Forum rules... Again!
- The Meles adminstration plans Information offensiv...
- Team of lawyers to write decisions for judges in p...
- The Economist's sword on Meles
- Staying positive
- Dr. Mulualem defects to Sweden... Yeah?
- Family Affair
- EZ diary: Meles and the docs
- For readers of this blog in Ethiopia
- Lawyer released by court after a year in detention
- Maekelawi stories CONTINUED...
- More arrests and tortures at Mae'kelawi
- AI's report put the government on defensive
- Three journalists abandon TPLF's mouthpiece
- Breaking news: Tortured prisoners transferred to a...
- More on torture at Mae'kelawi
- ▼ February (17)