It is sometimes unfathomable how some people are willing to act as utterly stupid to defend the act of others. Take, for example, Aigaforum's consistent and persistent use of the term "Plea Bargain" to describe the agreement signed by CUD leaders in prison. One doesn't have to be a lawyer to know some of the steps in a criminal trial.
-Plea Bargain is a prosecutorial instrument, and the deal is made between the prosecutor and the defendant.
-In principle, plea bargain must take place before the trial unless there is good cause for delay. Plea bargain, however, doesn't take place after conviction.
-In civil law countries like Ethiopia, plea bargain can only take place in very, very limited circumstances.
The agreement the CUD leaders signed was made after their conviction. It has nothing to do with plea bargain.
- Will Ephrem Isaac please speak up?
- "No negotiation with Kaliti prisoners" - Meles
- It is sometimes unfathomable how some people are w...
- Yesterday the EPRDF executive committee approved M...
- My earlier unconfirmed reports about the release o...
- There are unconfirmed reports that the CUD leaders...
- I am hearing that there was some progress in the t...
- There was no change in the afternoon(regarding the...
- Not yet...Prisoners haven't signed release papers
- Meles ready to sentence CUD leaders
- Yglesias on Ethiopia
- Conviction gives a sense of triumph for Kinijit le...
- Conviction followed by crack down
- Breaking news:Court finds kinijit leaders guilty
- Crack down in Addis Ababa
- ▼ June (17)