PM says prisoners will be sentenced
Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi says there has been no negotiation with the imprisoned CUD leaders. "Negotiation can only be made between two free persons. There can be no negotiation between an organ which has imprisoned the CUD members because they broke the law, and the prisoners on the respect for the rule of law, " Meles Zenawi said in Parliament today.
The Prime Minister was adamant that the issue of clemency can't be discussed in parliament before the court delivers its sentence on the prisoners as it affects the decision of the court.
From Meles' statement, there is no possibility that the prisoners will be released before the sentencing which will either be a rigorous imprisonment or death. Last week, I wrote that the prisoners would be released this week unless Meles, the serial liar, backed down. He has done that again.
- Will Ephrem Isaac please speak up?
- "No negotiation with Kaliti prisoners" - Meles
- It is sometimes unfathomable how some people are w...
- Yesterday the EPRDF executive committee approved M...
- My earlier unconfirmed reports about the release o...
- There are unconfirmed reports that the CUD leaders...
- I am hearing that there was some progress in the t...
- There was no change in the afternoon(regarding the...
- Not yet...Prisoners haven't signed release papers
- Meles ready to sentence CUD leaders
- Yglesias on Ethiopia
- Conviction gives a sense of triumph for Kinijit le...
- Conviction followed by crack down
- Breaking news:Court finds kinijit leaders guilty
- Crack down in Addis Ababa
- ▼ June (17)