Google

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Questions on Professor Mesfin’s Interview

 

      (By Ethio-Zagol and Meqdela)
 
  1. On the professor's claim that there is a power struggle between Hailu and Brehanu.

        -Competition for power and influence is the classic job description of politicians. What is unhealthy in a democratic system is

when politicians flout democratic principles to get to power. What democratic principles and procedures were broken by  Hailu and Brehanu?

- What evidence can the professor give us to substantiate the allegation of political power struggle between Hailu and Brehanu?

-Which power are they struggling for? Hailu Shawel is the president of the party. Is the professor claiming that Hailu got to that power after a power struggle? Or is he claiming Brehanu is trying to unseat a legitimate leader and Hailu is fighting to preserve his power?

-Brehanu isn't the member of the executive committee of the CUD. Is he trying to usurp Hailu's power without even being in the executive committee or is the professor implying that Brehanu is trying to gain power and influence outside of the party's structure?

-The professor said there was a power struggle between Lidetu and Brehanu. Was it the only reason for Lidetu's expulsion from the party? In his book Lidetu claimed that professor Mesfin and Brehanu had promised to support his bid for the presidency. It seemed from that Lidetu was eyeing Hailu Shawel's place. So was the power struggle between Lidetu and
Brehanu, or between Hailu and Lidetu?
 
2. On supporting Birtukan Mideksa
 

-Professor Mesfin asks us to work with Birtukan Mideksa as she is an able leader. What does that mean? Is the professor suggesting that Birtukan should be the chairwoman of the party?   Is that compatible with democratic ideals? Or is he saying that we should in democratic manner remove  Hailu Shawel and replace him  Birtukan Mideksa?

-Can Birtukan lead the party when the giants who, with professor Mesfin himself, formed Kinijit are sidelined?

(More questions to come)

59 comments:

lemma said...

Prof.Mesfin comment is like sour medicine.If you need to get cured,you should get sour medicine.The whole comment of Pro.mesfin is that let the job done first before starting worrying about power.I do not blame Birhanu but Engineer Hailu has the highest priority in protecting the party by encouraging the young people.He is almost the same age of Prof Mesfin.God and History will remember our judgment.Eng.Hailu be brave and wake up from "yulita Slavery".Tell your friend to be straight forward.Prof mesfin ,wishing you all the best and an examplary for young generation.
Lemma form churchil Godana,Addis Ababa

Anonymous said...

ez
your timely analysis,questions or comments are very accurate,practical and wonderful.unfortunately the cud leaders could not meet our expectation. above all the current trend of lamenting one another publicly shows that they(especially mesfin ,hailu,bedru) don't even respect party descipline.the whole issue of power struggle does not give me a sense as well so long it is done according to the pary rule and regulation.intra or inter party (national) elections are nothing but power struggle.in the us people run an election to be nominee of either democratic or republican party.in fact everyone has the right to do so.what is immature is the petty and rude verbal attacks we are hearing !!!

Gooch said...

I didn't like the way Prof Mesfin said some things because he was often too general and subjective and liable to be interpreted incorrectly or negatively. I think he could have said the same things in a better way.

The power struggle issue is a good example. If he had given specific examples, or failing that, spoke about perceptions rather than realities - 'there's a perception of a power struggle so we must work to remove such perceptions' - then we wouldn't have as many questions.

In the end, we're left to infer, and what I think he meant is that Hailu and Berhanu are always vying for influence (rather than position) and often have opposing viewpoints.

On Birtukan, I think his message, again not clearly presented, is that she should be supported in her effort to reconcile differences. Meaning that she should not be seen as being on one side or another. I'm pretty sure he did not mean that she should stand for Chair, which, on top of being a bad move, is scarcely feasible.

Anonymous said...

Some folks were expecting Mesfin to be some sort of oracle, but of course there's no such thing. He hasn't made himself out to be an oracle - he can be as biased and mistaken as anyone else trying to tell the truth, and he's said as much.

Of course, no one can definitively challenge a subjective story. For example: Hailu and Berhanu are engaged in a power struggle. It's a subjective judgement and even those close to the situation, including Hailu and Berhanu can have different interpretations. (In my judgement, the English 'power struggle', that is struggle to exert the most influence, more accurately describes what's happened than the Amharic 'ye selTan shukucha', which is often interpreted as more of a struggle for status or position.)

Another example: the jailed considered themselves 'better' than those not jailed. It could indeed be that some felt the martyr syndrome more than others, it could be that some were suspicious that some were not jailed because they were spies and such, it could be that some felt down in the dumps and had to take it out on others.

I had problems with some of Mesfin's communication style. The martyr syndrome example is a good one. By not being specific, he cast suspicion and questioned the character of all those who were jailed. This leaves a bad public image and embarrasses people, and embarrassed people are more likely to be defensive and not accept their errors.

He should have said something to the effect of: "Some visitors to jail felt a bit alienated... Distinguishing between the jailed and not jailed could create the perception that the jailed think themselves special. Needless to say, it is vital that this perception not exist, so the jailed must bend over backwards to remove it by doing whatever necessary to be inclusive."

This way, he says 'this is wrong, this is what needs to be done, and this is who needs to do it', without directly blaming personalities.

In general, when you say things like people are in a power struggle, which are significant accusations yet subjective and difficult to prove, then you'd better have specific examples to back you up. IMHO, the more effective path is to say there's a perception of such-and-such and that it must be dealt with.

Anyway, what I liked about Mesfin's interview was his emphasis that there are no ideological fault lines and the clear implication that people don't trust each other. This, IMHO, is the cause of all the problems.

Cultural deficit strikes again - distrust and suspicion, no benefit of the doubt, no empathy, no norms of cooperation. This is clearly not only confined to Hailu and Berhanu, but we see this everywhere, in every one of us. The emphasis in this episode should not be on particular people's psychological traits, but on the sociological problem at hand. Hailu, Berhanu, or for that matter, Lidetu, Dr. Asrat, Taye, Merera, Beyene Petros... (endless list of 'discarded heroes') are victims of an undemocratic culture that needs to evolve.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how some people tell us that the CUD is still one while the split is obvious. The climate of hate, suspecion and recremination has replaced standing for a mutual cause and discipline. Given this fact, there is no way the CUD can continue as one party. It is better that each group goes its way without ceasing a one big organization for the sake of advancing democracy in the country. The sooner the separation takes place, the better.

Anonymous said...

It is another pity to have such irresposive interview from a respected Prof. who is regarded as a beacon of seasoned wisdom. I would like EZ to urgge the prof. to reconsider his views that was recklessly aired in as much we were urged to liten to him. All in all, we seem not to be blessed by elders: the former elders forced the innocents to claim responsibility in order to settle EPRDF's political impasse while the later has caused more rift between CUD leaders and advised us to stand by his fovorites contrary to democratic principles. Yaltadelish Hager!

Anonymous said...

M2007

I think both Ethiomedia and Ethio-Zagol editorials seem to commit the same mistake they criticize in Prof. Mesfin.

By their own admission they were EXPECTING answers that supported their views and when that did not materialize they resort to condemning the Professor. If we are talking about democracy, then you should make concessions to others that you would for yourself.

May be the Prof knows a thing or two that you and I are not privy to. May be his words are loaded and coded to irk the listener and the leaders.

Let us not jump to conclusion that hurriedly. Let us not add fuel to the aleady burning fire.

GEDA said...

EZ:
well said brother.
More questions than answers .

Geda

Anonymous said...

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSL1795197

Anonymous said...

“Professor Mesfin asks us to work with Birtukan Mideksa as she is an able leader. What does that mean? Is the professor suggesting that Birtukan should be the chairwoman of the party? “ EZ

Dear EZ, My understanding for this statement is that at the movement Eng. Hailu failed to leading or is not leading the party. It is clear that if the chairman is not leading any organization. It is the Vice who immediately acts. This is what is happing now in Kinijit. Bertukan takes the leading position, because Egn Hailu is not interested to lead or failed to lead the party. Therefore this is the transition period, in this transition where the chairman is not leading it is the Vice who is in charge until a chairman is elected formally. This is my understanding EZ. Prof. Mesfine is not appointing or suggesting her as chairwomen. He told us that because of the chairman’s failer to lead the party the responsibility is automatically transferred to vice Bertukan. That is it. Procedurally Prof. Mesfine is correct in this regard as far as we understand that Ato Hailu failed to lead the party.

Anonymous said...

EZ,
When do you take criticism with pride? Are you telling us that only imprisoned individuals should make a decision on CUDP's future? Just because Someone is not jailed makes him/her a traitor? When do you guys wake up?
Stop asking the prof stupid questions and just for one minute focus on what you are doing!
Kinikit is dead. May God keep EPRDF until we truly wake up and take over.

Anonymous said...

EZ, Now for the first time I am here to oppose your views.when are we gonna learn to call a spade a spade? Prof has put it everything clear. accepting the truth is our responsibility, denying and interpreting his interview in a way that we wished it to be is denial. As I read from ethiomedia aswell, everyone is pointing his finger at this innocent professor.
To mention one, who dares to defend about Birhanu's book? It is fact that it narrates about Birhanu and Birhanu only. I was blind not to figureout that before, thanks to the Prof. Let's look back on what birhanu talks about in every meeting, he talks always about himself more. Look back to the Newyork meeting during his award, did he reflect the views of his party members? No! Birhanu would love to be jailed again for the sake of democracy, not the other party members, etc etc etc....

to come to an end, let's accept fact. The prof has said it. it is sour, but we have got no option. Medhanitem yemeral new yemibalew. we should accept it.

I wish we had more person like him.
Eyob

Anonymous said...

zagol,

listen the interview again and again. didn't you say u would listen when the respected professor speaks? u should not have limited urself from the start or made the title of ur story uncomfortable for yourself.

cheers

Anonymous said...

I think those are very seminal questions for Professor Mesfin. I hope, as a role model teacher, he would provide clear responses to these logical, more like intellectual (nonsubjective) questions and clarify his positions. We know that he has never backed to say what he wanted to say; and that he was the first and probably the only person to speak up against various sensitive issues (such as deportation of Eritreans at the height of tensions). We believe he would write a dispassionate observation with a critical look including his own role in the sad trajectory of the rise and fracture and imminent colapse of the CUD as a unified political front.


So long.

Anonymous said...

EZ,
I think we should not take the interviews Prof. Mesfin gave to DW & VOA in a negative light and try to understand his statements in the broader sense. He was just sheding light on the suspicion & lack of trust among the opposition politicians in the past & at the moment between Engineer Hailu & Dr. Berhanu. The way I understood his statements is that Eng. Hailu is watching with caution the moves by Dr. Berhanu & his party and Dr. Berhanu along with other imprisoned leaders were not happy with arbitrary decisions by Engineer Hailu.
Prof. Mesfin thinks the ululation, adoration and standing ovation accorded to the opposition leaders by the public has intoxicating effect on some of the leaders and these leaders may be loosing focus. His comment about Dr. Berhanu's book is that it should be taken as a personal memoir not a political treatise, as some would like to take it. I agree with that and I don't think Dr. Berhanu would have a problem with that. Prof. Mesfin seems to agree with Eng. Hailu that the leaders should have shown respect to those who have paid the ultimate price by visiting family members and found a way to strengthen the party by bringing together members of the party whether imprisoned or non imprisoned. Both Eng. Hailu or Prof. Mesfin made valid points there. However, as Judge Birtukan said they could not call meeting of party members because of the harassment by local & federal authorities of the TPLF regime and one of the reasons they felt they had to raise funds in urgency from supporters abroad is to put the party in good financial standing so that it can carry out what needs to be done including supporting family members who lost their loved ones. In any case, what aggravated the crisis according to Prof. Mesfin (at least the way i understood it) is, the semblance of agreement the Chairman was giving when he was told about their decisions and his inability to convince them once he decided to oppose their going abroad. Dr. Berhanu's sudden departure to U.S.A before the delegation left Addis & later joining them at the airport also gave semblance sinistre plan to sideline Eng. Hailu. Prof. Mesfin's point is that this game between Eng. Hailu & Dr. Berhanu is proving to be of big distraction, the other opposition leaders should have the courage to say to these two their antiques is hurting the party, the struggle & the people who deserve better.
My personal belief is that the country would be better served if Dr. Berhanu returns to his role as a policy advisor as in the time, he was a respected head of the think-tank 'Ethiopian Economic Association' and Eng. Hailu somehow delegate his leadership position to a more younger, healthier, hands-on type of leader & consensus builder among the opposition leaders. A proven leader such as Dr. Yacob or the secretary general Ato Muluneh. I hope KINJIT would keep Judge Birtukan away from the mud slinging & let her serve the role of moral inspiration for the movement. For those who are attacking her saying that she said that 'the number of political prisoners in Ethiopia are in hundreds' in her testimony in front of House members, why don't you give her a chance to explain before running into airwaves to vilify her? She & others have said they have formed a committee to work with the SHIMAGELES to work on the issue of political prisoners remaining in Ethiopian prisons. What if this is the preliminary number she was able to get from the committee & the committee was able to ascertain officially so far?
The other advantage of Dr. Berhanu's return to policy advisory role would be the delegation led by Judge Bertukan would deflect criticisms about the opposition future dealings with TPLF regime. It is not a secret now the Western emissaries such as VIcky Huddelston were fond of dealing with Dr. Berhanu who was considered by them as a moderate when they forced the TPLF regime to negotiate with the opposition. Actually, the fear or the suspicion of those Ethiopian politicians the West has branded hardliners (EPRP/MEISON, Dr. Taye & recently Eng. Hailu), is that U.S. officials are operating behind in the elevating of Dr. Berhanu's weight in KINJIT so that his wing is most likely to be receptive of State department cooked deal with the TPLF regime. In the same manner, America is weaving a plan to corrupt democracy in Pakistan by encouraging 'moderate' (read docile to American interst) exiled opposition leader Benazir Bhuto in a secret deal with the the dictator Musharaf, similar sinister plan to corrupt democracy in Ethiopia another front line state is being weaved so that their Meles Zenawi can choose his opponents and make a deal with 'moderate' opposition. I hope KINJIT has learned from its earlier mistake of putting its faith on Westerners when it was tacitly encouraged by the West to break away from other 'hardliner' opposition figures and participate in the election as moderates with no preconditions. I hope Judge Birtukan and other members of the delegate would clear the cloud & assuage the fear of those branded by the West as hardliners by affirming unequivocally that they would not enter in to negotiation with TPLF regime while other opposition figures who at least beleive in Ethiopian unity are excluded from the taks. TPLF should not been given more chance to choose with which opposition it would talk and it would not talk.

Anonymous said...

With all respect i have with Prof. Mesfin i found his comments like add fuel to the fire. I was expecting he would iron out the differnces and resolve them among themselves. Go public like that would slow the the momentum. conffussion perhaps is the right word to sum it up. It would put coast to coast smile for the Woyane. i am disapointed by him.

Anonymous said...

The professor said there was a power struggle between Lidetu and Brehanu.

It is absolutily unacceptable alegation!. Lidetu and Berhanu run for different seats. Lidetu run for the parliament seat, where as Berhanu runs for the mayor seat. How on Pr. Mesfin???????????

Anonymous said...

You said you want a prove for what the professeor comments, the professor founded the Kestedamena party with the doctor. He has been in prison with these people. He has every opportunity to witness what is going on. What prove do you have to contenst his interview. By the way tell us the age limit to participate the Ethiopian affairs.

getu said...

Let me start my comment by saying how much I admire you-EZ- since the crises in our country .I have been visiting your blog every day . But today I feel like you are definitely on the side of the Dr Brehanu’s Group. Unfortunately, you are one of the many “kinijit” supporters that fall in love with the different group with out….. let alone knowing the main reason for the crises but also trying to find the truth. Instead of digging the truth from the root and at least informing your readers like the way you used to do before …you failed .
What was you expecting from the professor’s interview when you said “When professor Mesfin speaks , I listen”.. he told us the truth…. That is true ….the current crises in “kinijit” is not the truth that you were always trying to tell your readers as “collective agreement “ it is the Dr’s Brehanus and Enginers Hailu strive for power ….that is it man ….
You know what makes me sadden …?? When I was in my Country I was attending one of my poor neighbors funeral who was shot and killed on the first day of the protest in Addis at “Kotebea” college . His friends were graduated after a month of his death …..but he could not make it …for nothing , for men like Lidetu’s …Dr Brehanu’s …Enginer Hailus….dream .

I know that his poor Mamma still cries for him

Anonymous said...

The respected Professor made many allegations against Hailu and Birhanu. As Ethio-Zagol, I miss also facts on the ground that can confirm the allegations are indeed true. Until the facts are there and proven, I can only judge these two individuals from their public deeds. So far, Hailu is getting dectatoral and destructive. What I saw about Birhanu until now is that he is making visionary speeches and never complained about Hailu or his colleges. Until now I never heared Birhanu involve in personal conflicts as Hailu is doing in the last days.

Anonymous said...

The respected Professor made many allegations against Hailu and Birhanu. As Ethio-Zagol, I miss also facts on the ground that can confirm the allegations are indeed true. Until the facts are there and proven, I can only judge these two individuals from their public deeds. So far, Hailu is getting dectatoral and destructive. What I saw about Birhanu until now is that he is making visionary speeches and never complained about Hailu or his colleges. Until now I never heared Birhanu involve in personal conflicts as Hailu is doing in the last days.

Anonymous said...

Ethio Zagol listed some questions for the good professor. Tough I cannot answer for Professor Mesfin, I will try to answer the questions (what I think the professor meant). Mind you this is my answer not the Professor's answer. :)


http://seminawork.blogspot.com/

1. On the professor's claim that there is a power struggle between Hailu and Berhanu.
-Competition for power and influence is the classic job description of politicians. What is unhealthy in a democratic system is when politicians flout democratic principles to get to power. What democratic principles and procedures were broken by Hailu and Brehanu?

Answer - I do not know what democratic principles were broken by Dr Berhanu. There might be some that the Professor knows. However as to Ato Hailu he surely broke many democratic principles and trying to be prince over us. What he has been doing here is America and the funny drama we saw last Sunday is a clear evidence of that.

- What evidence can the professor give us to substantiate the allegation of political power struggle between Hailu and Brehanu?

Answer- I don't have answer for this. No idea why the professor said that.

-Which power are they struggling for? Hailu Shawel is the president of the party. Is the professor claiming that Hailu got to that power after a power struggle? Or is he claiming Brehanu is trying to unseat a legitimate leader and Hailu is fighting to preserve his power?

Answer- I don't think there is a power struggle between Ato Hailu and Dr Berhanu. The professor may know things that we do not know.

-Brehanu isn't the member of the executive committee of the CUD. Is he trying to usurp Hailu's power without even being in the executive committee or is the professor implying that Brehanu is trying to gain power and influence outside of the party's structure?

Answer- That is quiet true. When Kinijit is united Dr Berhanu lost his vice chairmanship. He was "demoted". I just cannot accept this characterization of Dr Berhanu.

-The professor said there was a power struggle between Lidetu and Brehanu. Was it the only reason for Lidetu's expulsion from the party? In his book Lidetu claimed that professor Mesfin and Brehanu had promised to support his bid for the presidency. It seemed from that Lidetu was eyeing Hailu Shawel's place. So was the power struggle between Lidetu and Brehanu, or between Hailu and Lidetu?

Answer- I think the power struggle was between Lidetu and Ato Hailu. However at one time there were public exchanges between Ato Lidetu and Dr Berhanu. ( Dr Birhanu was even criticized by Ato Lidetu in public for signing the proposal for a unity or transitional government). Maybe the good professor had that in his mind.

2. on supporting Birtukan Mideksa

-Professor Mesfin asks us to work with Birtukan Mideksa as she is an able leader. What does that mean? Is the professor suggesting that Birtukan should be the chairwoman of the party? Is that compatible with democratic ideals? Or is he saying that we should in democratic manner remove Hailu Shawel and replace him Birtukan Mideksa?

Answer- I think it is the later, the professor is a democrat who values democracy and the rule of law. I think definitively he meant the later.

-Can Birtukan lead the party when the giants who, with professor Mesfin himself, formed Kinijit are sidelined?

Answer- Of course she can. She is a well educated known lawyer who is courageous and bold. She surely can lead. I have confidence on her. Also I do not like the word "giants". I think that is what the Professor would like to fight against, the politics of making big individuals, of considering them like giants. Look what the "giant" Ato Hailu Shawel is doing ..????

I think as long as they are democratically elected there are many good leaders out there. W/t Birtukan is surely one of them.

muziky68

Anonymous said...

Why people suddenly felt bad about Prof Mesfin comment or interview? Is it because he did not tell us what we want to hear? Is it not the time to be open to the public, Ethiopians? What is wrong by saying spade is spade? Did not we see what Blair once said ‘brilliant’ and Clinton’s new generation show whom really they are inside, sourer and brutal?
In my opinion, the interview has given us many opportunities to hold our hours and scrutinize the current crises seriously, beyond individual.

Anonymous said...

Questions on the timing of Prof’s Interview

Why he chooses to speak out now?

Why he kept quiet all this time if he knew the problem within CUD?

Why he wants to give his interview from a hospital, just before he goes under surgical procedure?

Why he chooses this time to damage the reputation of Braham and prop up Birtukan?

SWDU

Anonymous said...

Birtukan mideksa hand in hand with Birhanu Nega making difin Etopia democratic!! Prof. Mesfin can't/don't want to atleast give the people some remedies ? or is he siding with Birhanu?

XDT2007 said...

-Professor Mesfin asks us to work with Birtukan Mideksa as she is an able leader. What does that mean? Is the professor suggesting that Birtukan should be the chairwoman of the party? Is that compatible with democratic ideals? Or is he saying that we should in democratic manner remove Hailu Shawel and replace him Birtukan Mideksa?

-Can Birtukan lead the party when the giants who, with professor Mesfin himself, formed Kinijit are sidelined?

DUH! That was the whole point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpy9bx-uas

Anonymous said...

Dear Seminawork et als,
My respect to all your comments in questioning the validity of Pro. Mesfins interviews. I believe outsiders are fuelling the problems within the Kinijit leadership for various reasons. The professor may be creditted for his contribution in the building up of Kinijit. However he left the party before the job is done. He never come to public with his reasons for leaving the party. Whether his reasons are personal or his inability to work as member of a team we will come to learn sooner or later. My respect to this gentleman is at the bottom afer listening to his interviews. I have seen him making several misjudgements in his previous public life but this one is a catastrophe for an aged person like him. "Yaltekefete Af Zinb ayigebabtim".
Mulugeta

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with the professor's interview. But there is everything wrong with us- being frustrated with all the current hocus-pocus, hoping that the "prince" (Mesfin) would come to our rescue, tell us what we never heard before, and come up with a certain remedy. Well, Professor Mesfin is not a Mesfin from the heavens. May be it has to do with our culture that people are talking about.

People still want all knowing "Mesfins"... but thats not right and this attitude, has brought many damages to Ethiopia. That’s how our culture made dictators out of many honest nationalists… Teferi, the moderate prince from Harar, who loved his country and would be the last person to become a dictator given that he has seen the bitterness of Dictatorship in his early age, was made a dictator by the Mehal Sefaris…. with all the “Edme Le’teferi- letalaku Meri” songs. Mengistu, an elected chairman of the Dergue- a committee organized to voice the issue of Salary raise and benefits for the army, was made a dictator by people chanting “Viva Mengistu- Viva Castro”… I can go on and on… but I have to return to the subject.

Professor Mesfin has been my hero and he still is- actually, my college admission Essay was about him. I respect everything he did for EHRCo and honor his love for his country. That, however, doesn't mean that he is always right and I always agree with him. To use EZ's words, when he speaks, I [always] listen- but with what he says, I don't always agree. He has made some mistakes in the past, he can make some mistake at the moment, and he will continue making mistakes in the future- “Mesfin” is just a name given by his mother.

Having said this, I agree with what somebody mentioned in here about him playing the "wise shimagile". Obviously, he would lose all the grounds of being a shimagile had he sided with one of the "groups" and said something bad about the other. So, "he had to throw everybody into the same basket." Is that typical of Professor Mesfin? Yes. (I can provide examples... read his perspectives about the struggle b/t EPRP and MEISON)... but saying that Birhanu and Hailu are the same is just what he said to strengthen his point that there is no ideological difference between the two- I don’t think he meant anything more than that.

People know a lot about his relationship with Birhanu but know less about his relationship with AEUP...

AEUP and the good Professor:
There has been a very harsh relationship between Mesfin and AEUP right after his claim "there is no such ethnic group as Amhara- Amhara means Christian." (With very strong evidences BTW)... Hard core AEUPs like Tadios Tantu (one of the heros of the Diaspora paltalk room, and a columnist for Minilik and Askual newspaper) and Eskindir Nega (Editor and owner of Minilik, Askual, and Satenaw newspapers who later left the party) has bashed his name by continuous articles. Those two people can be a very good sample of AEUP extremists. According to Lidetu, the founders of Kinijit (Dr. Birhanu and Mesfin) didn't have a positive outlook towards AEUP.

His credibility:
The "nationalists" (I put that in quotation because EPRP is in there ) that "support" Hailu has been very critical of Prof. Mesfin and I don't think his comments matter that much for them. As far as they are concerned, he is not influencial at all. On the moderate side of kinijit, however, he is well respected and verrry influencial. But, I believe that, they will use their moderate approach to evaluate what Prof. Mesfin said and take it moderately.

Should Dr. Birhanu speak out now?
No, at least not yet. I think he should speak only to the general assembly, if there is going to be one, and do his internal politics up to then (play it like Meles during the TPLF sanctions) ... Things are complicated at this moment and his comments might make things even worse. People in Ethiopia, the people that matter most, wedednim telanim, hear Dr. Birhanu more than anybody at this moment. So, all he needs to do is give one interview on Addis Admass after things are settled.

Does Dr. Birhanu want to come to power? Is there really a struggle b/n Hailu Shawel and him?

Probably- and there is nothing wrong with that. There are two ways to look at this: the first is taking the allegation that Dr. Birhanu wants to come to power is true; and the second is that Dr. Birhanu wants Hailu to be replaced by somebody other than him. (I personally think he wants to get rid of Hailu and put somebody capable of doing the job in his place). but assuming that Dr. Birhanu wants to become the chairman or the point person of CUD, here is how I would understand the issue....Birhanu didn't want to be the chairman when kinijit was formed. Even his said to be "power rival" Lidetu (I don’t agree with that judgment of Prof. Mesfin, BTW)... wanted him to be the chairman. So why, on earth, wouldn't he accept that offer then and crave for it now? Well, there are two possible explanations: one is what the professor said- "Ye'hizbu chibcheba chinkulatu laay sileweta” and the other is because he knows that he will do better if he was the chairman. Professor Mesfin chose to believe the first one (without providing any evidence, that is) and we have the right to go with the second one.

Ye’netsanet Goh SiQed?

Though his tone was negative, I think he is right. Even Dr. Birhanu said that he would wait for historians to come up with the unbiased and true story of Kinijit in the future. He also said that one of the purposes of his book was to initiate others to write and/or speak their perspectives about Kinijit- what went wrong and right, what should have been done and not minamin. It was obviously his perspective… he didn’t say that it is a research paper. He even the fact that he started with his own story with EPRP is a clear proof for that. Is that relevant to the title? Yes, it is to him. Can somebody read the book and have a better understanding of what to do for future democratic Ethiopia? Yes, I have learnt a lot. In fact, I read Professor Mesfin’s recent book, Ye’Kihidet Kulkulet, and I have also recommended it for many friends of mine to read it but I have learnt more from Yenetsanet Goh siQed. Is it the complete history of Kinijit? No and it was not intended to be.

Is Birtukan the way to go?
They say that a good shimagile will tell the husband that he is wrong when he talks to him and say the same thing for the wife when he talks to her... but since he knows who the real Tifategna is deep inside, he will propose a solution that sides the tebeday... For me, criticizing both Birhanu and hailu and endorsing Birtukan, while she is a partaker in every allegation he mentioned (chifra Masebaseb, ignoring the ones that were not imprisoned, not giving priorities to the legalization of Kinijit...) is playing it like the wise shimagile. But I don't think not only Birtukan but also Eyoel are the ways to go at this time... the one and only reason being their religion and Kinijit losing its strong base. (Try to figure out how more vulnerable for attacks by "chauvinists" they are than anybody... Debteraw has already started to play the game).... I guess the professor didn't give much though about it... or he did and decided that she can make a good transition.

Anonymous said...

Well Well Well, Mr Delibertative,

When Prof Mesfin Speaks I listen and today you are "confused and need clarification" on what he said. I did not listen to the interview, but from what i read he lambasted Berhanu and said it is a power struggle between hailu and Berhanu. He also said that Birtukan should unite the party. He answered questions evasively as to give her room to wiggle. Has it occured to you that he wants her to separate herself from Berhanu and be a peacemaker? Is this so hard to understand?

You have had years to listen and get close to Berhanu, Hailu, Lidetu, Birtukan and various leaders of Kinijit but simply never picked up on Birhanu's power mongering.So you try to insuinuate there is a problem with the good Prof, Bedru, and Hailu to advance your hero.
Why don't you write about Berhanu? Let us hear your views on him.
Since you are so against the old man "Hailu", Give us your review on him. Tell us why he is so anti " Collective Leadership". Tell us about his dictator tendencies that you have told us about in your earth shattering interview with Gizachew.

In the eyes of many you have joined the ranks of ER. A divisive shallow know it all who killed HR 2003. BRAVO.

Wolloyew said...

Order!! Ethio-zagol Order!!


Point of order -- As a first-hand witness of internal party rumblings and the intense behind the scene power struggle within CUDP, the good Prof. tried his best to share his experiences with us. Does he need to prove anything? I say No!!

If you really think that the assertions made by Prof. Mesfin Weldemariam are fabrications and myths & he is lying, the onus probandi thereof rests solely on both of you Ethio-Zagol and Meqdela to prove it by providing evidences and telling your side of the story to the readers of your Blog.

Nota Bene: As the Amharic saying goes, “Ke Balebetu Yaweke Buda New” Take care!

Wolloyew said...

Order!! Ethio-zagol Order!!


Point of order -- As a first-hand witness of internal party rumblings and the intense behind the scene power struggle within CUDP, the good Prof. tried his best to share his experiences with us. Does he need to prove anything? I say No!!

If you really think that the assertions made by Prof. Mesfin Weldemariam are fabrications and myths & he is lying, the onus probandi thereof rests solely on both of you Ethio-Zagol and Meqdela to prove it by providing evidences and telling your side of the story to the readers of your Blog.

Nota Bene: As the Amharic saying goes, “Ke Balebetu Yaweke Buda New” Take care!

Anonymous said...

Do not get me wrong guys. I am pretty sure that Mesfin has some personal problem with Berhanu. It is time for Berhanu to speak up and let people know the final truth. Mesfin could have made educated criticism on Berhanu's book. He mad a wild and pointless talk on it as if ethiopians are blind to read books written in their languadge. Time has come for Mesfin to respect the social rule that "an old man can act much lower than 8 years baby." This is not really a personla problem attributed only to Mesfin, instead problem of getting older and older by each day

Anonymous said...

oh stop crying!!! mesfin gave his choice. he said no to hailu. no to berhanu and yes to birtukan,
he also blamed berhanu for lidetu's departure.

Anonymous said...

I just want to comment on Prof. Mesfin's comments on the crisis of KINIJIT.I was waiting for him to speak on the issues for weeks and was disappointed when it didn't come. Now that he has spoken I have to respect his comments. I don't believe he has any reason to lie at this junction and will only accept his comments as seen by his own eyeglasses as well as from vantage position of being close to the party right from the inception. I believe there are three or four critical issues, which everyone wants to comment on, and so do I.

First on the issue of difference between Eng and Dr. Brehanu

He said the only issue is power. He said there is a power struggle and even rush for power right from the beginning initially between Brehanu and Lidetu and now between Hailu and Brehanu.I discern that this power struggle is to have influential place in CUD and even maybe to position oneself at the right position to assume the highest power once CUDP is elected. If this is the case, it maybe true as he was there close to all of them, I would say what is bad in it if it is done in a democratic manner within the party. The problem will be the manner it is done and if there is no democracy. The other issue is the motive of the person who will assume power. The motive part is very difficult to measure as anyone cane fake it but he/ she will be tested in the job and the democratic nature if established will remove him/her from power in the party and even the party from power if elected into office. What should be key to any one to be elected to be head of the party has to be his leadership and influencing ability. I don't think power struggle should be a problem if CUDP has strong democratic methods. What he has to tell us is if anyone of them uses undemocratic means to grab power as it is a wake up call. I’d rather be led by someone who has ambition for power but with a good motive. Anyone without the ambition in any field he is engaged in will not have what it takes to succeed.

Groupism- If one has to get anything passed it has to be debated and in some cases one will have to do some lobbying among the CUDP Lai Lai Mewakir, I believe this is healthy and requires leadership ability. If the groupism is based on any undemocratic principles then it is a problem, if it is issue based, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

On the question of sacrifice I don't think he was wrong. I don't think being in jail alone should be the criteria. All should be included in the party keeping in mind that many are making more difficult sacrifices including their single and irreplaceable life.

On the issue of being on the side of Birtukan, I would prefer resolving the issue in democratic and the party's principle rather than supporting one and isolating another. Our support should be for the party or the party's ideals.

On the Prof's comment on Dr. Brehanues' book -- I think is unethical on the side of the Prof to say the least.

The Solution said...

Here is my solution for crisis in Kinijit— Transitional Leadership

1)Make Temesgen Zewede, the chairman of Kinijit, inorder to save the Kinijit name and its legality. The chairmanship should last only for two months. New election after two months.
2)Appoint Eng. Hailu and Dr. Birhanu as advisors to the chairman
3)Keep Birtukan Midekssa as first Vice Chair, and Mr Muluneh Eyuel as Secretary General of Kinijit.
4)Make Ayele Chamiso as 2nd vice chairman and Ato Mohamed/Ali as asistance secretary general.
5)Add some people from the Ayele group(two) and Temesgen group (two)to the Executive Committee.
6)Add five people from the Ayele and Temesgen groups each to the Central Committee.

What do you all think?

Anonymous said...

Here is my solution for crisis in Kinijit— Transitional Leadership

1)Make Temesgen Zewede, the chairman of Kinijit, inorder to save the Kinijit name and its legality. The chairmanship should last only for two months. New election after two months.
2)Appoint Eng. Hailu and Dr. Birhanu as advisors to the chairman
3)Keep Birtukan Midekssa as first Vice Chair, and Mr Muluneh Eyuel as Secretary General of Kinijit.
4)Make Ayele Chamiso as 2nd vice chairman and Ato Mohamed/Ali as asistance secretary general.
5)Add some people from the Ayele group(two) and Temesgen group (two)to the Executive Committee.
6)Add five people from the Ayele and Temesgen groups each to the Central Committee.

What do you all think?

Anonymous said...

I think this is what I make of Mesfin’s interview in a nutshell:
I understood that Mesfin is pissed off with both Hailu and Berhanu.
a) He is pissed off at Hailu because he did not use the democratic principles and disciplines that are at his disposal to execute and lead. Thus he thinks he should lead or he is not an effective leader.
b) He is pissed off at Berahnu because he did not follow the democratic principle that governs the party. In other words he is mad at his coup d'├ętat attempt thirst for power.
c) Because of this bad blood that was caused by shortsightedness by the two figures above, he thinks they are a liability to the party at the present time. He also thinks Bertukan is capable of leading the party and she should somehow come out of dreadful situation that she and the party are in and he want her to takeover and lead not necessarily taking Hailu’s position but by telling both boys to stop acting like a fool and getting back to their senses.
I personally do not think Bertukan has demonstrated a leadership quality thus far. I also question her qualification and experience as well. I think she is more of a “cheefra” (loyalist) of Berhanu than a leader of the delegates. As to point a. above it has some truth to it, but I wonder what Hailu can do under this circumstances when he is hard-pressed so aggressively by Berhanu and his mobs .

I pretty much agree with both a and b but not c thus far I have to see her speak her mind.

Great observation by Mesfin!
God Bless Ethiopia

Anonymous said...

EZ,

You said when the good professor speaks, I listen. Stick with it. All of us have fault lines, and the professor's advice is not "faultless." But Kinijit has to be protected at all costs including deflating egos. That is what the professor did. We need both sides to come to the negotiating table for the sake of CUD and Emama Ethiopia. We should not encourage them to go their separate ways by supporting or crticizing this or that group. You see when the jailed leaders we were taken off guard by the euphoria, by the slowly emerging news about the split between our leaders, and we were not realizing that we are witnessing the split of the organization we love and for which so much sacrifice was paid. This has to stop and all of us come to our senses and realize that the train we are riding is going to take us to the abyss unless we stop it. Stop support for any group and let's force the two to come and sit and save CUD.

Anonymous said...

Prof. Mesfins Interview for Dummies

Ye'abesha neger!
Ewnetun mesmat anwedem. Zimbilen eyagbesenina chigiren eyeshefafenen menor eniwedalen. So, when someone like the Prof tells us the "truth" we are not used to it and don't know how to handle it.

Wake up everyone!
Point is the leadership failed fool(.)period- for various "personal" reasons excluding Birtukan M.
Personal- is keyword here. There is no time for shimagile or plea and booting/voting out those who let their ego ahead of them is the only and only way forward.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpy9bx-uas

Anonymous said...

Dear EZ and Mekdela,

Well, to be honest, Prof. Mesfin has always a reason to say what he says. One has to be very careful and sober in judging this matured Ethiopian. Fanning around Birhanu, Hailu or Birtukan or whoever never helps the struggle. We need to ask ourselves "What are we standing for?"

If we are standing for the ego-centric personalities, then we don't have to worry about politics. Go, establish or join the foundations of those personalities. If we are standing for the interests of the Ethiopian people, like peace and democracy - put simply, then we need to focus on the bigger picture or the integrity of CUD than on the struggling personalities.

If people who are being called visionary (Dr Birhanu et al .) or patriotic (Eng. Hailu et al.) can't be able to fix the problems with in a party, how can we rely on them to lead a big country like Ethiopia? If these people were really what they are referred to be, then they could have sacrificed their personal interests for the interest of the Ethiopian majority including all those who died for the causes of CUD. And that interest is a strong and charismatic CUDP!

I live out of Ethiopia and yet I don't believe that the Diaspora should get the priority to discuss with CUDP leaders. The leaders should have stayed for a while in Ethiopia and exhaust all the possibilities at any cost before craving for the political amenities in the western world. That could have let us see the bigger picture about KIC and KIL. Things needed time boil over.

Now everybody is in the mud and we are hearing from one respected Ethiopian that the main problem is about being the leader. After working with him for about four years, Birhanu can't tell us about the dictating interest of Hailu as such. The same goes to Hailu. How would we know that Birhanu or Birtukan or Yacob would not turn against their own people as educated dictators?

In a nut shell, whatever Prof. Mesfin says should be taken seriously. If anybody doubts his judgement, it is either because they don't know Mesfin or they are being sentimental. My fear is, as I read it between the lines, there is something big going on within CUD. A well founded and funded project to disintegrate the party seems to be in place. If these people are real leaders, they should pause and think whether they are running for or against the blood of those visionary and patriotic Ethiopians who died for the basic questions of the Ethiopian majority. Otherwise, being educated or leaders of CUDP won't necessarily make them Ethiopian leaders. Never!

Girma.

Anonymous said...

Dear EZ and Mekdela,

Well, to be honest, Prof. Mesfin has always a reason to say what he says. One has to be very careful and sober in judging this matured Ethiopian. Fanning around Birhanu, Hailu or Birtukan or whoever never helps the struggle. We need to ask ourselves "What are we standing for?"

If we are standing for the ego-centric personalities, then we don't have to worry about politics. Go, establish or join the foundations of those personalities. If we are standing for the interests of the Ethiopian people, like peace and democracy - put simply, then we need to focus on the bigger picture or the integrity of CUD than on the struggling personalities.

If people who are being called visionary (Dr Birhanu et al .) or patriotic (Eng. Hailu et al.) can't be able to fix the problems with in a party, how can we rely on them to lead a big country like Ethiopia? If these people were really what they are referred to be, then they could have sacrificed their personal interests for the interest of the Ethiopian majority including all those who died for the causes of CUD. And that interest is a strong and charismatic CUDP!

I live out of Ethiopia and yet I don't believe that the Diaspora should get the priority to discuss with CUDP leaders. The leaders should have stayed for a while in Ethiopia and exhaust all the possibilities at any cost before craving for the political amenities in the western world. That could have let us see the bigger picture about KIC and KIL. Things needed time boil over.

Now everybody is in the mud and we are hearing from one respected Ethiopian that the main problem is about being the leader. After working with him for about four years, Birhanu can't tell us about the dictating interest of Hailu as such. The same goes to Hailu. How would we know that Birhanu or Birtukan or Yacob would not turn against their own people as educated dictators?

In a nut shell, whatever Prof. Mesfin says should be taken seriously. If anybody doubts his judgement, it is either because they don't know Mesfin or they are being sentimental. My fear is, as I read it between the lines, there is something big going on within CUD. A well founded and funded project to disintegrate the party seems to be in place. If these people are real leaders, they should pause and think whether they are running for or against the blood of those visionary and patriotic Ethiopians who died for the basic questions of the Ethiopian majority. Otherwise, being educated or leaders of CUDP won't necessarily make them Ethiopian leaders. Never!

Girma.

Anonymous said...

A FEW DAYS AGO i WROTE THE FOLLOWING ON COMMENTS TO HAILU SHAWEL'S MEETING:

"UGLY AND SHAMEFUL POWER STRUGGLE!"

2:19 AM

I HAVE BEEN PROVEN RIGHT BY THE PROFESSOR.

PLEASE STOP ATTACKING PEOPLE THAT DON'T AGREE WITH YOU. THE PROFESSOR IS ENTITLED TO HIS COMMENTS.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean when you say there is a power struggle? To begin with, these people have no power and would not know what to do with it if they have any. Listen to them carefully, would you accept their claim that Ethiopians, living in foreign countries have a say on political affairs in Ethiopia even though they are not Ethiopian citizens any more? You can not raise fund or campaign actively with out violating election rules. So my friends do your own thing if you like but stop your voodoo politics.

Anonymous said...

E-Z

When professor Mesfin speaks , You listen! as you stated on your previous blogg. From your latest post , you do not seem to like what he said . He told the truth , Although I am skeptical on the issue of his recomndation of Bitrtukan for the leadesrship. He might know something about her that i do not know, and i will leave it at that. Birhanu`s Ambition for power , at any cost , has been known for quite some time.

It is heartbreaking to the extreme , to see these leaders locked in to anja and click machination to sabotage the people of Ethiopia , who paid in BLOOD and sweat for the party in anticipation of justice for all, liberty , free press , a government by the people for the people. I have no word to express my sadness and extreme anguish on the current state of kinjit.

I can only hope that it will come out of the crisis stronger and opner!. The people should ask the leaders critical questions instead of siding with one group or another. It is about Ethiopia and its people , it is about our children , It is not , and should be about personalities, who are bound to perish - I must admit , the leaders paid a price , and i respect them for that. Thye should, however uphold the truth , put people before their interest.

Anonymous said...

Ermachin Enawta
The great professor tried to provide fair assessment of the CUD Political crisis. He puts unequivocally that there is power struggle between Dr Birhanu Nega and Eng. Hailu shawel, the former to grab power of the party while the later struggle to maintain his power. The professor clearly indicates that the CUD leaders have unrealistic lust to power. To surprise of all, the crisis is not due to policy difference or ideology. As we all know and some people publicly describe, the CUD has not party discipline and articulated policy.

We used to say “Kinjit is Menfes”. The chairman of CUD disprove this slogan saying that some of its party leaders are heartless, let alone to be “kudusan menafist”. Ato Bidru confirmed this statement that Kinjit had not capacity to lead the country. Friend, we should wake up from the illusion. We are in complete denial. Time proved that the slogans, “Kinjist menfes new”, and “ CUD is one, no split”, are empty.
What I understood from the respected professor is as follow:
• The split in CUD is not some thing it happened now; it started before they got into the prison.
• The problem is not ideological; it is individuals struggle to power, “Yeseltan Shukucha”
• W/r Birtikaun medeksa has a capacity to mediate the two sides who struggling for power and fame.
• Dr Birhanu Nega has got unrealistic lust to power.
• There is no democratic instruments inside the party, there are grouping

So what is the main problem of this crisis?
I would say we had unrealistic expectation on a single party instead of advocating and fostering the democratic processes inside ourselves and the society. We should stop thinking that a single party can bring democracy to the country.
Right now, I feel that CUD is done. But we should not allow these so called leaders to spread their problem and contaminate the society. The propaganda is getting racial.
As to us, let me borrow the Amharic phrase “Ermachin Enawta”, and let us move forward and think beyond Kinjit.

Anonymous said...

Here, contempt, is deserving.

That is, for you and your side-kick, meqdela.

Each time you suspect a degree of hightened ire at what you're going to say, you bring along Meqdela. As if the added punching bag would intimediate us from doing the faithful thing to do - punch.

It just like you, isn't it. You raise the man to the loftiest of standards and when this man starts airing his own views, you can't wait to bring him down.

Did it occur to you at all that you may have been wrong all along about Nega, Shawl and even the Professor himself.

One thing I am sure though. You don't knwo the professor.

Anonymous said...

Z - Joro yalew yisma new negeru. You don't need the good prof to tell you this is attempted coup#2. If you really, really read Berhanu's book he himself told you in excruciating detail how coup#1 was executed.

Anonymous said...

EZ,

You told us in your previous post that you will listen when the good professor speaks. Now he has spoken and you change your mind and come up with your laundry list. You could have waited until he speaks before making that kind of statement. Did someone dupe you by showing the wrong script? Ki ki ki. It is clear for everybody that you expected some thing which may supports your side of the story. Now you are forced to put your tail between your legs and design a new strategy to destroy what is still left. A month or so a go you were apostle of deliberative democracy. You considered us political dummies and tried your best to enlighten us about the greatness of collective leadership. Today you can not even understand your own mother tongue (I read some where a claim you are Neftegna, see your post about ONLF.) leave alone the complicated stuff of your version of Soviet style communism. Now the professor said it is not about deliberative democracy, but to snatch power using collective leadership as a cover. He told us that there is no any policy difference between the two guys. The cover is blown my man. The cover is blown. You guys mislead the good Doctor to use unethical way to push the old and sick man over the cliff. He had every chance to be what he wants to be, but fools like you and your decoy ER disgraced him.
I have had a great hope on him. I had the privilege to listen one of his speeches. He made an electrifying and uplifting speech. After their long incarceration and after the straggle toward democracy lost its momentum for so long, he gave us a new hope to fight for better future. Unfortunately, his political future is done for now. He may recover from this back lash, if he articulates enough and has patience. In politics, timing is every thing. You got to device a way to unleash your energy on the right time. Second, it is no the right place. The Diaspora is not his constituency. He should have started the coup d’etat on the street of Addis talking to the youth who elected him. I wish he will come back to the far front for the sake of our struggle to democracy, this time through democratic means.

EZ, please read the comment from Anonymous 4:37 PM again. He summarized the interview for you in simple and unambiguous way.

Getu (6:40 PM), you broke my heart. I was there on black Wednesday massacre. It bleeds my heart, when I see all that sacrifice was for nothing. We should have discussed now how to unset the Meles dictatorial regime and how to bring those killers to justice. To our dismay, we are discussing persons. I come to the conclusion that we in the opposition camp are not better than Weyane. It is appoling to me when I see the blind support of the Weyane cadres and when they try to justify the unjustifiable, because they are a member of that group, or they have a blood/ethnic relation. But, I realized that we are much worse. Look how otherwise wise EZ can not understand, what is clearly written on the wall. That gutter press (as Meles put it once) is still gutter press. You can visit ER, EM, EMF et al. They support one group or the other with out a good reason to do so. They bash everyone who has a different opinion than them. If you scratch them, they will see Agia or Walta.

Any ways, thanks EZ for job well done. Your mission is accomplished. CUD is dead. The peoples hope is destroyed. Let’s identify the weeds in the opposition camp and re-organize ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Brief comment on Mesfine's interview

Seifesilassie Sibhatu

For sometimes now we all have been speculating and guessing about the degree and extent of the damage created by internal party and personal strife with in the higher hierarchy of CUD party. Now it is no more speculation about the life and death of the ill-fated party. Prof. Mesfine has given as the official word regarding the greed and ambition of Kinjit leaders, about Kinijit the wicked sprit and lot more. The implications and significance of the hard words he spoke on VOA and DW radios regarding the state of Kinijit and its greedy leaders were too harsh not only to his supporters but to the supposed impartial VOA journalist Tizit who conducted one of the interviews. Since he spoke on VOA and DW, those words have became a bitter pill to swallow to the hardliner Diaspora, which for long have been living in denial, delusion and preferred their leaders to tell them what they wanted to hear not the reality.

Now that he spoke on international radio station and made public what most of the Diaspora hardliners feared for so long: Kinjit isn't the Sprit they wanted to believe but a collection of power hungry and greedy individuals; Kinijit is not a party that was established to give the Ethiopian people political leadership, but a subtle short cut to bring the likes of Berhanus and Hailu to power. Ouch it hurts! He turned the hard fought effort of the hardliner Diaspora to create a Holy Spirit, the 45th Tabot, out of Kinjit into a nightmare. But how will the hardliner Diaspora emerge from denial into reality that the individuals hailed by them as wise and charismatic leaders are but greedy power monger, that Kinjit is not saviour of Ethiopia as they wanted hard to believe but a means to attain individual glory and ambition? We have to wait and see the full impact of those words of Mesfine, a man ironically so revered by his supporters, on the hardliner Diaspora and Kinijit in general. A couple of days since he spoke on VOA and DW; however, there haven't been any unusual reaction from the hardliner Diaspora. Instead of coming to their sense and reality and at least at this time listen to the words of their Prophet, as usual all indication seems to suggest that the hardliner Diaspora is working hard to tear itself apart along personalities and cult lines, glorifying or demonising of individuals rather than defending ideas and principles. This should not come as a surprise given the tradition and culture Kinjit and in line with the creation of Berhanu's group, Hailu's group, those-in-prison group and so on.

But to those us who has reasonable judgment, what Mesfine said should not come as surprise. Kinijit was conceived and created mainly by Mesfine et al., out of four political parties that had only got a common ground to outs the incumbent government. With the exception of their common desire to see the current government go by any means possible, there wasn't a single fabric that could hold them together for long. From its outset the coalition lacked long term, viable and alternative vision of Ethiopia therefore doomed for failure from its inception. The man himself though couldn't hide the realities that existed in Kinijt, seems to suggested paradoxical view points. At one point in the interview he mentioned that the coalition was created to give the Ethiopian people political power not individual glory. Yet at another point he suggested that from its inception the coalition was marred with individual political feud between Berhanu vs. Lidetu, now Berhanu vs. Hailu, may be next Berhanu vs. Bertukan. In another instance he tried to make the problem that CUD faced and the feud between Hailu Shawel and Berahnu Nega as an insignificant and in fact implied their difference is a form not content. But can a difference so strong and whose fundamental cause lies in deep individual hunger and greed for power be characterised as a difference in form not content? Can a difference that brought the ill-fated coalition to its knee and to the verge of its collapse be considered as a difference in from not content? I don't think so.

Oct 18, 2007

Anonymous said...

Excellent! A terrific message and a very timely one!
There is no angel on either side. I have respect for all sides. Don't get me wrong. They have inspired the wholw nation and paid immense sacrifice for their people. But they are also humans with great qualities but also with weaknesses. Their exceptional qualities prevailed Meles’s jailhouse. Their weakness amplified by all the drum beating around is tearing them apart now. And we have in the Diapsora, something to do with it.

I think the professor is telling us to pause and think! "Antem tew antem tew! "
He might be right or wrong on the facts. I do not know. But I like the call he made to all sides: “Focus on the big picture! Think about what brought you together! The people are watching and waiting for your leadership! “
Concerning Birtukan, he gave us his testimony that she is fair and trustworthy. Having met her briefly I think she may be a bridge. She is firmly grounded on one side. I would see this as an asset. She needs help to build a bridge with the other side of the unfolding rift. That is my interpretation Professor Mesfin' s message! I admit he could have been a bit balanced by naming someone from Engineer Hailu's supporters who could help in this regard. But the prof is also human! He does not have to spoon-feed us with all the answers. Does he? He challenged us to think. Can anyone think of a bridge maker on Engineer Hailu's side? Name one! Make a call to their conscience! Point them to Birtucan. Give it a try! Make it happen guys!
Surprise the dear professor by bringing peace among his friends. That would be the best gift the Diaspora can make to Ethiopia, much more valuable than this ugly partisanship wrapped by $$$$. It is taking everyone to the abyss.

From a concerned observer

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous before me,

Yours is the only level-headed criticism of the prof's interview that I have come across. Perhaps, a little nuance regarding his comments on Birtukan. I don't think endorsed her for leadership. In fact he beseeched the two "rivals" to share the leadership rather than comepete. He expressed his confidence Birtukan can lead the way out of the crisis with the help of others (take the lead in resolvng the problem). His impression may be wrong, but we shall see the whether the confidennce was misplaced. He had made it clear that his own support is not unequivocal when he put it as a test of her leadership.

Last, Professor Mesfin is a distinguished scholar and man of integrity. Yet, his defining trademark is principled dissent. It appears people have admired him for the wrong reason, simply because he happened to be a critic of their enemy. When he came against their respective heroes they are disappointed and began to cry foul.

Another anonymous

Anonymous said...

When Prof. Mesfin speaks, you listen:)

Anonymous said...

What do you mean Hailu and Birhanu are struggling for power?

First of all, HAILUE SHAWEL is the leader of the party. 60 excutive members elected HAILUE SHAWEL to lead Kinjit. There has to be another meeting to ask HAILU SHAWEL to leave the position. Birhanu is only one of those 60 members. Just because CIA is trying to design what the opposition leader should be does not mean we have to accept it.

For democracyu to work there has to be set of rules that is followed in order to make democracy work. According to the curren rules state, 2/3 (67%) of the 60 executive members have to get together and elect their next leader. This also has to be according to the law of the set of rules, i.e. wait for the term to finish before electing another leader. If they approve Birhanu to be the leader then HAILU SHAWEL will step down. However if the executive members say HAILU SHAWEL shall remain the leader then we have to ask Birhanu to leave quietly without trying to cause too much noise.

KINJIT = HAILU SHAWEL!!!
HAILU SHAWEL = KINJIT!!!

Anonymous said...

Few weeks ago Indian Ocean reported that the US
> government hosted selected opposition leaders in
> State Department. Senator Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma
> conformed the reported news on his press conference
> on HR2003.
>
> Senator Jim said, "The State Department recently
> hosted a group of opposition political leaders and
> members of Parliament in DC, providing an
> opportunity for dialog and reconciliation."
>
> A surprise event, at any rate, the oppositions
> must be open and transparent to the Ethiopian
> people. Any deal that compromise the practical
> Democratic rights of our people will be a disaster
> like election 2005.
> Our opposition leaders need to understand that
> democracy and elections are not the same thing.

Anonymous said...

You said:

When Prof. Mesfin speaks, I will listen.

And I say:

When Prof. Mesfin speaks again, I will not listen.

Anonymous said...

too many speculations...absolute power corrupts absolutely goes the cliche.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
EZ,

When it comes to Prof. Mesfin Woldemariam, it seems your spirit is some how intertwined in having found some thing special about him. One of my favourate blogs from you was posted on Seminaworq on Sept. 1st 2006, while he was in Kality. -----------------------------------
Get Wll Prof. Mesfin to a speedy recovery.
-----------------------------------

Here is a copy from The Reporter's web site

Eng. Hailu hints at expelling other group

Professor Mesfin Woldemariam, who was imprisoned along with the pardoned CUD leaders, said this week that the current state of affairs within the party leadership is just a culmination of long standing differences that had existed.

“The power struggle that is being observed between Hailu and Berhanu had previously been seen between Berhanu and Lidetu. We know what that resulted in but we do not know what will come out of what is happening now. This just shows that people have not really understood their responsibilities,” Mesfin said during an interview with the VOA.

Mesfin added that while there was no difference of ideology in the party there however was a problem in that some of the individuals within the leadership had intense aspirations for power.

“Three years ago I realized that some people were simply craving for power. People were organizing cliques and factions within the party. The party was established to empower the people of Ethiopia; it was not established to use the people as a ladder for some to rise to power. I therefore made it clear in writing that I was not willing to work in the leadership until such realities improved.”


Mesfin, who is currently in India for a back surgery, said that the leaders of the party had erred by deciding to go the US immediately after their release when the primary concern was the survival of the party.

“When a meeting of the Supreme Council was called, Engineer Hailu, as president, should have attended the meeting and should have convinced all that it was not only a meeting of the imprisoned and that other members should be present too. He should have, as leader, influenced the agenda. Finally, when it was decided that a delegation will head to the US, I am told that he said he would not travel with the others. Three days later he arrived in the US and again he failed to assume his position of leadership; instead he chose to pursue his own path. Berhanu was present during the meeting of the Supreme Council but he also left while it still was ongoing, leaving it all to the others. He also was pursuing his own path as Engineer Hailu.”


Mesfin was critical of both Dr. Berhanu Nega and Engineer Hailu Shawel saying that while the latter did disagree in the travel schedule, asking that it be postponed, both however were involved in the decision to travel to the US.

“I was of the position that they should not leave without healing their wounds. I told them do not leave with their open wounds. Wait until it heals.”

Speaking on the faction created between the Kinijit international leadership, Mesfin said: “Basically, the difference between [Kinijit International Leadership and Kinijit International Council] as far as I am concerned is only a difference of form; it is an expression of the power struggle. Other than that none of them have any ideological difference. In fact, they are similar in numerous ways.”

In a related news, Engineer Hailu Shawel has hinted that CUD might decide to expel the five-member US delegation consisting of first vice president Birtukan Mideksa, Dr. Hailu Araya, Dr. Berhanu Nega, Ato Biruck Debebe, and Engineer Gizachew Shiferaw.

“What should we do now? How should we move ahead? When there is some thing that bocks your path, you either carry it along or move it away. Which one is easier? We are tired and can not carry anybody anymore, and I mean nobody,” Hailu said during a speech to supporters in Washington.

By a Staff Reporter
-----------------------------------

Refeering to the reporter's piece, the future could be that
-The by-law of the Supreme council of Kinijit in Ethiopia will pass the final determination and the out come is yet to be seen.
-In my opinion, a sign of power struggle and splinter was manifested when Andargachew turned down the offer to join KIC by Hailu Shawel and labeled him a "a dictator" and at the same time the remaining members of KIL, including him KIL-6 concluded that they will not be able to work with the newly formed KIC. This seemed to have Dr..Birhanu's backing.
-Like it or not, there are clearly two factions, if not three with in Kinijit now.
The struggle of the faction under Chairman Hailu will have more challenge as theirs could be a long struggle which will test their patience.
- They are dealing with a splinter from with in.
-The same splinter has been reported to negotiate with x, y and/or The Kinijit that has the registered licence certificate.
-What ever label had been exchanged in public, Dr.Birhanu's speech, "extremists" and "fara politics" and K-President Hailu Shawel, labeling the others, "renegates"; Hailu Shawel's group has a clear and firm agenda in its opposition to Woyanne.
-Kinijit may not neccessarily be ONE at this point, and yet global fund raisng is going on in its name.

The spirit of Kinijit used to be balance of atleast these two factions. At this point, the choice is getting clearer. If not different in their IDEOLOGIES, they are different in some other WAYS and FORMS, and it is those differences some of us want to know from IMPARTIAL great thinkers, writters and politicians OF BOTH SIDES AND OTHERES, in order to decide which side reflects the path towards a successful governance and which will strongly uphold the EIGHT PRINCIPLES.. The weaker the party is, the less likely hood that those principles find a position let alone fullfill its intended higher purpose. A weak and a less patriotic party may not be capable of imlementing or deserving of those principles as it will be taken by "the well trained military", "the free press", free election" which may not reflect the needs of the country and people. Money and popular follownig can play some role in this, but may not guarantee the long trem realty.
Annonymous @6:42 made a wish list
To my knowledge, the two members of that wish list hold the legal registration of Kinijit (I may stand corrected). From some of the news in the recent past, the K-5 (BB-5) could be working with members of this list. In your past blog, you have recommended a name change to be a possiblity. By the time they all return back (rumor has it that Dr. Birhanu might stay in the USA ) and sort out what needs to be done, President Hailu's chairmanship could expire as well as Vice Chair Birtukan's position ( I stay corrected if need be). In all the process, members of "the wish list", could claim the name and continue to work with K-5 and the rest of their followers. They have been reported to negotiate with the BB-5).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF AT ALL A NAME CHANGE, Hailu Shawel's group might as well be renamed, Coalition for Ethiopian Unity and Democracy and may be work with UEDF and others.

It is undeniable that AEUP, one of the partners in Kinijit has remained the back bone and base for Kinijit. Kinijit's Presidant's remark, as noted in The reporter's piece is understandable, but hope for reconcilation can not be given up.

Awaiting for your interpretation of Prof. Mesfin Woldemariam's opinion.
MGP
7:47 AM

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
EZ,

When it comes to Prof. Mesfin Woldemariam, it seems your spirit is some how intertwined in having found some thing special about him. One other memorable blog from you was posted on Seminaworq on Sept. 1st 2006, while he was in Kality. -----------------------------------
Get Well wishes for Prof. Mesfin to a speedy recovery.
-----------------------------------

Here is a copy from The Reporter's web site

Eng. Hailu hints at expelling other group

Professor Mesfin Woldemariam, who was imprisoned along with the pardoned CUD leaders, said this week that the current state of affairs within the party leadership is just a culmination of long standing differences that had existed.

“The power struggle that is being observed between Hailu and Berhanu had previously been seen between Berhanu and Lidetu. We know what that resulted in but we do not know what will come out of what is happening now. This just shows that people have not really understood their responsibilities,” Mesfin said during an interview with the VOA.

Mesfin added that while there was no difference of ideology in the party there however was a problem in that some of the individuals within the leadership had intense aspirations for power.

“Three years ago I realized that some people were simply craving for power. People were organizing cliques and factions within the party. The party was established to empower the people of Ethiopia; it was not established to use the people as a ladder for some to rise to power. I therefore made it clear in writing that I was not willing to work in the leadership until such realities improved.”


Mesfin, who is currently in India for a back surgery, said that the leaders of the party had erred by deciding to go the US immediately after their release when the primary concern was the survival of the party.

“When a meeting of the Supreme Council was called, Engineer Hailu, as president, should have attended the meeting and should have convinced all that it was not only a meeting of the imprisoned and that other members should be present too. He should have, as leader, influenced the agenda. Finally, when it was decided that a delegation will head to the US, I am told that he said he would not travel with the others. Three days later he arrived in the US and again he failed to assume his position of leadership; instead he chose to pursue his own path. Berhanu was present during the meeting of the Supreme Council but he also left while it still was ongoing, leaving it all to the others. He also was pursuing his own path as Engineer Hailu.”


Mesfin was critical of both Dr. Berhanu Nega and Engineer Hailu Shawel saying that while the latter did disagree in the travel schedule, asking that it be postponed, both however were involved in the decision to travel to the US.

“I was of the position that they should not leave without healing their wounds. I told them do not leave with their open wounds. Wait until it heals.”

Speaking on the faction created between the Kinijit international leadership, Mesfin said: “Basically, the difference between [Kinijit International Leadership and Kinijit International Council] as far as I am concerned is only a difference of form; it is an expression of the power struggle. Other than that none of them have any ideological difference. In fact, they are similar in numerous ways.”

In a related news, Engineer Hailu Shawel has hinted that CUD might decide to expel the five-member US delegation consisting of first vice president Birtukan Mideksa, Dr. Hailu Araya, Dr. Berhanu Nega, Ato Biruck Debebe, and Engineer Gizachew Shiferaw.

“What should we do now? How should we move ahead? When there is some thing that bocks your path, you either carry it along or move it away. Which one is easier? We are tired and can not carry anybody anymore, and I mean nobody,” Hailu said during a speech to supporters in Washington.

By a Staff Reporter
-----------------------------------

Refeering to the reporter's piece, the future could be that
-The by-law of the Supreme council of Kinijit in Ethiopia will pass the final determination and the out come is yet to be seen.
-In my opinion, a sign of power struggle and splinter was manifested when Andargachew turned down the offer to join KIC by Hailu Shawel and labeled him a "a dictator" and at the same time the remaining members of KIL, including him KIL-6 concluded that they will not be able to work with the newly formed KIC. A dialoge of the good will of the collective 12+ 11 people could have been a beginning. The KIL-6 were not even willing to meet with the rest of the KIL-6 and the newly added 11 people. This seemed to have Dr..Birhanu's backing as by then there were many clues that Andargachew and Berhane Mewa were under the leadership and association of Berhane, including close social and business partnership.

-Like it or not, there are clearly two factions, if not three with in Kinijit now.
The struggle of the faction under Chairman Hailu will have more challenge as theirs could be a long struggle which will test their patience.
- They are dealing with a splinter from with in who may claim to be transparent when it fits, and yet there are some questions.
-The same splinter has been reported to negotiate with x, y and/or The Kinijit that has the registered licence certificate.
-What ever label had been exchanged in public, Dr.Birhanu's speech, "extremists" and "fara politics" and K-President Hailu Shawel, labeling the others, "renegates"; Hailu Shawel's group has a clear and firm agenda in its opposition to Woyanne.
-Kinijit may not neccessarily be ONE at this point, and yet global fund raisng is going on in its name.

The spirit of Kinijit used to be the balance of atleast these two factions. At this point, the choice is getting clearer. If not different in their IDEOLOGIES, they are different in some other WAYS and FORMS, and it is those differences some of us want to know from IMPARTIAL great thinkers, writters and politicians OF BOTH SIDES AND OTHERES, in order to decide which side reflects the path towards a successful governance and which will strongly uphold the EIGHT PRINCIPLES.. The weaker the party is, the less likely hood that those principles find a position let alone fullfill its intended higher purpose. A weak and a less patriotic party may not be capable of imlementing or deserving of those principles as it will be taken by "the well trained military", "the free press", free election" which may not reflect the needs of the country and people. Money and popular follownig can play some role in this, but may not guarantee the long trem realty.
Annonymous @6:42 made a wish list
To my knowledge, the two members of that wish list hold the legal registration of Kinijit (I may stand corrected). From some of the news in the recent past, the K-5 (BB-5) could be working with members of this list. In your past blog, you have recommended a name change to be a possiblity. By the time they all return back (rumor has it that Dr. Birhanu might stay in the USA ) and sort out what needs to be done, President Hailu's chairmanship could expire as well as Vice Chair Birtukan's position ( I stay corrected if need be). In all the process, members of "the wish list", could claim the name and continue to work with K-5 and the rest of their followers. (They have been reported to negotiate with the BB-5).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF AT ALL A NAME CHANGE, Hailu Shawel's group might as well be renamed, Coalition for Ethiopian Unity and Democracy and may be work with UEDF and others.

It is undeniable that AEUP, one of the partners in Kinijit has remained the back bone and base for Kinijit. Kinijit's President's remark, as noted in The reporter's piece is understandable, but hope for reconcilation can not be given up.

Awaiting for your interpretation of Professor Mesfin Woldemariam's opinion.
MGP
7:47 AM

Anonymous said...

GET WELL WISHES
FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY FOR PROF. MESFIN WOLDEMARIAM

MGP/EDEN