(By all EZ Post contributors)
The Ethiopian conception of Shimgelena is very pragmatic. It has less to do with justice and truth than crafting the conditions for coexistence. Thus, we say that Shimagles have a right(and even an obligation) to lie, hide the truth, and sometimes push one or the other party to accept deals which may be objectively unjust(based on a careful analysis of reality and balance of powers), to bring about reconciliation. That was why, all contributors to EZ Post, had no strong words against Professor Ephrem Isaac, the Chief Shimagele, during the process of the negotiation between CUD leaders and Meles, even though we firmly believed the prisoners were at times under intense pressure to accept unjust terms in the deal.
But Shimageles aren't absolute Machiavellian amoralists. Their willingness to be less truthful and unjust has limits. Today was the second time Meles Zenawi backed down from a deal he agreed to in the past three months. He kept on changing his terms whenever he felt like it. He added more onerous conditions for the prisoners to accept after agreements had been made, sometimes embarrassing the Shimageles themselves. We think that even for a staunchly Ethiopian Shimagele like Epherem Isaac, Meles' acts should be beyond the borders of what is acceptable in a Shimgelena process. We believe this is the time for the great Professor to speak up against Meles Zenawi's blatant disregard of our long standing institution of Shimgelena, and his capacity to boundless immorality.
- December (2)
- November (5)
- October (25)
- September (28)
- August (20)
- July (13)
- Will Ephrem Isaac please speak up?
- "No negotiation with Kaliti prisoners" - Meles
- It is sometimes unfathomable how some people are w...
- Yesterday the EPRDF executive committee approved M...
- My earlier unconfirmed reports about the release o...
- There are unconfirmed reports that the CUD leaders...
- I am hearing that there was some progress in the t...
- There was no change in the afternoon(regarding the...
- Not yet...Prisoners haven't signed release papers
- Meles ready to sentence CUD leaders
- Yglesias on Ethiopia
- Conviction gives a sense of triumph for Kinijit le...
- Conviction followed by crack down
- Breaking news:Court finds kinijit leaders guilty
- Crack down in Addis Ababa
- May (14)
- April (36)
- March (43)
- February (17)
- January (10)