I reported that Mulunesh Abebayehu, a Kinijit councillor, was detained without charge for seven months and published her letter. She had started a hunger strike two weeks ago. Last Friday, she was released on bail. Hail the power of bloggers!
Tensae Radio; what's happening?
There is no single independent press in Ethiopia at the moment. The broadcast media is a government propaganda machine. Tensae Radio started broadcasting to Ethiopia to fill the media gap. As radio is a powerful medium in Ethiopia, Tensae can play a huge role to counter-act TPLF's propaganda, keep people informed about the struggle, transmit the opposition's vision etc... Tensae radio is having problems doing that.
-The time of its transmission is not suitable to Ethiopian audience
-The accuracy of its information is very questionable.
-It news and programme format is unattractive (no interactive programmes, poor interviews, lack of popular voices)
- It is getting rather jaded theses days; not reporting the most significant happenings that have been reported on the web
I recommend that Kinijit's international leadership take communication strategy seriously and come up with ways to improve Tensae radio (making it more credible and attractive). We shouldn't underestimate Radio's incredible power.
World Cup Fever?
The world cup temperature here in Addis has gone more than the real heat at the real playing fields; which of course is always good news for TPLF. ETV as usual is on the business of transmitting every game live. In most cities of the country the game is shown on large screens in squares and other public places. The focal point of conversations has turned from politics to football. Most taxis aren't working after 8 in the evening. It seems this month is going to be a break for many Ethiopians from the saddest chapters of their latest history.
(Updates on Birhanu's story to come latter)
- ► 2007 (230)
- A Justice system in shambles
- A little triumph in congress
- Birhanu Nega returns to prison
- Hi-tech suppression
- Prosecutor through with video evidences against Ki...
- News from kaliti
- For now we have Ethiomedia
- TPLF man kills a tyre repair owner and walks free
- To Birhanu Nega with love
- The facts about Kinijit International Committee; a...
- Prison condition may worsen Birhanu's health, Doct...
- Mulunesh Released; Tensae Radio; World Cup Fever
- Update on Birhanu's condition
- Breaking news:Birhanu Nega hospitalized; but in go...
- The rise and rise of political books; and Donald L...
- In Defense Of The Alliance(Part two)
- In Defense Of The Alliance: Perspective From Home
- AFD, Kinjit.org and other matters
- Kinijit kaliti and Kinijit NA
- Breaking News: What were Bereket Simon and Vicki H...
- Shimeles kemal and John Stewart The Daily Court To...
- ▼ June (21)