Asefa Kesito, the Justice Minster, was a graduate of the Ethiopian Civil Service College. He got the post because he used to be a good friend of Azeb Mesfin, the wife of Meles Zenawi. Last week Asefa Kesito received a serious dressing down from his boss in a Cabinet meeting. The next day he called a meeting of employees at the ministry and vented his fury. "I know only 10% of the 180 prosecutors the Ministry has are progressives and support the government," he was quoted as saying," Ten percent are ardent Kinijit supporters and the remaining are uncommitted and harbor a tendency to the opposition. I am dissatisfied with the performance of the prosecutors and will, if things continue as they are, replace them with prosecutors from regions."
Some of the prosecutors he called progressives were having one of their now frequent embarrassing moments at the court hearing of the Kinijit leaders, civil society members and journalists. After bragging to the international community and Ethiopians that he had audio evidences which, beyond reasonable doubt, prove the guilt of the prisoners, Shimeles Kemal only presented a ten minute audio evidence which was purported to be Hailu Sawel's interview with Tensae radio at the beginning of October. On the audio, Eng. Hailu was heard saying that since the election had problems according to international observers, the newly constituted parliament was illegal. According to the prosecutor, the audio proved that Hailu Shawel had undermined legal institutions in Ethiopia and incited the public to revolt against a lawful government. Except one audio evidence which would be presented in court on Monday, The prosecutor said that other evidences were repetitive and, therefore, wouldn't be heard in court. The one exception will have the statements uttered by
-Elias Kifle, ER
-Solomon Bekele, Kinjit NA
in different times, says the prosecutor.
Meanwhile, TPLF is creating surrogate bar associations all over the country's regions. The Addis Ababa bar is chaired by Million Assefa, an ex-opposition-turned-EPRDF. According to sources, the government has promised the associations that it would facilitate a World Bank donation to them. The existing independent Ethiopian bar association is dubbed as kinijitian by TPLF.
In a more serious note, Ana Gomes is so popular here that some people will be supporting the Portuguese in tomorrow's world cup clash with England.....cheers
- ► 2007 (230)
- A Justice system in shambles
- A little triumph in congress
- Birhanu Nega returns to prison
- Hi-tech suppression
- Prosecutor through with video evidences against Ki...
- News from kaliti
- For now we have Ethiomedia
- TPLF man kills a tyre repair owner and walks free
- To Birhanu Nega with love
- The facts about Kinijit International Committee; a...
- Prison condition may worsen Birhanu's health, Doct...
- Mulunesh Released; Tensae Radio; World Cup Fever
- Update on Birhanu's condition
- Breaking news:Birhanu Nega hospitalized; but in go...
- The rise and rise of political books; and Donald L...
- In Defense Of The Alliance(Part two)
- In Defense Of The Alliance: Perspective From Home
- AFD, Kinjit.org and other matters
- Kinijit kaliti and Kinijit NA
- Breaking News: What were Bereket Simon and Vicki H...
- Shimeles kemal and John Stewart The Daily Court To...
- ▼ June (21)