As he set off to work Wednesday morning, Mezemer Belay, 31, felt a twitch of excitement. He had planned to move his Tyre Repair business, located at Megenagna, to a bigger place at Hayahult and this was the day he would do it. Little did he know that he would be no more after 5'oclock in the afternoon.
Mezemer's Tyre Repair was not far from Gidey W. Sillasie's G+2 which was rented to the Chinese. Around ten, while Mezemer and his friends were loading machines on ISUZU pick up, the driver of Gidey, a TPLF member, according to neighbors, who worked at the Customs Authority, started shouting at them. "He was very upset that the pick up had blocked the road to Gidey's house and called his boss immediately," a boy working at the tyre repair said. Gidey was furious when he arrived some 15 minutes latter. He had some angry exchange with Mezemer and then drew his pistol and shot him twice; one on the chest and the other on his left eye. He then checked whether the fallen Mezemer was dead. "He wasn't shocked that he shot a man. After checking his pulse, he utter something like 'motesh ende'(you are dead?), picked his mobile phone and started calling someone. It was beyond belief," another worker at the repair shop claimed. When Young people threw stones at Gidey, two city police men arrived. Gidey was unwilling to hand himself to them. Instead, he threatened them with his gun. He also pointed a gun at Mezemer's brother, Simeon, and warned him that he would meet his brother's fate if he moved closer. Latter, Federal police men came and took the killer away.
Over his brother's place near Kotebe St. Gabriele's, Mezemer's family and friends were still mourning the death of a beloved, hard-working man when I visited them today. Their anger was vivid. "The man who killed Mezemer was made to walk free some hours after he was taken to police station," one mourner told me. I was also told that the killer was under security protection as it was feared that he would be a victim of revenge attack.
The boys who were throwing stones at the killer were also apprehended by the police on Wednesday evening.
- ► 2007 (230)
- A Justice system in shambles
- A little triumph in congress
- Birhanu Nega returns to prison
- Hi-tech suppression
- Prosecutor through with video evidences against Ki...
- News from kaliti
- For now we have Ethiomedia
- TPLF man kills a tyre repair owner and walks free
- To Birhanu Nega with love
- The facts about Kinijit International Committee; a...
- Prison condition may worsen Birhanu's health, Doct...
- Mulunesh Released; Tensae Radio; World Cup Fever
- Update on Birhanu's condition
- Breaking news:Birhanu Nega hospitalized; but in go...
- The rise and rise of political books; and Donald L...
- In Defense Of The Alliance(Part two)
- In Defense Of The Alliance: Perspective From Home
- AFD, Kinjit.org and other matters
- Kinijit kaliti and Kinijit NA
- Breaking News: What were Bereket Simon and Vicki H...
- Shimeles kemal and John Stewart The Daily Court To...
- ▼ June (21)