The Ethiopian Telecommunication Corporation has re-started Short Message Service(SMS) for mobile phone users. The service had been discontinued since June 10, 2005. During the elections in May 2005, Kinijit supporters effectively used the service to mobilize the people. It was this use of SMS as a tool of mass mobilization that forced the undemocratic government to shut down the service.
EZ thinks: The service's restoration is a good first step towards opening the political space. Now what about the private press and the blocked websites?
See What has happened to holy Joe?
- The superlative Haile
- HR 2003: The Final Push
- Burmese bloggers - Is the Internet Creating Haberm...
- Yacob's Call
- The way forward
- Here is a comment about the recent problem in Kini...
- Made in diaspora
- Repression is back
- CUD and Democracy: An exchange
- Kinijit and democracy
- It is not Hailu Vs. Brehanu
- Meles stifles TPLF dissidents
- Breaking News: Yeka Woreda Police releases ceremon...
- Organizers of the ceremony in honor of Birtukan Mi...
- Today on EZ Post
- Will Conners on Slate
- Addis Press Corps: My observations
- SMS Back In Ethiopia
- What Has Happened to Holy Joe?
- MELKAM MILLENNIUM TO ALL ETHIOPIANS
- Our challenge
- No One is Indispensable says Kinijit Leader
- Hailu Shawel gets the clearance to travel to the U...
- What is going on within Kinijit?
- While preachers of Ethiopian unity are sitting sil...
- The Millennium Fiasco(Part 2)
- WFP Asked to Withdraw from the Ogaden
- British Embassy opposed UN Fact Finding Mission to...
- ▼ September (28)