In a remarkable precedent in Ethiopian legal history, the court in charge of the treason trial of CUD leaders, independent journalists and civil society members ruled today that Andargachew Tsgie, Mesfin Aman and Elias Kifle are guilty of outrage against the constitutional order even before they are given a chance to defend their case. Although both of them are tried in absentia, they still have a constitutional right to defend their case.
The court either dropped or dismissed the case against other defendants who are tried in diaspora including Tamagne Beyene, Negede Gobeze, Abreha Belai and Brehane Mewa.
Civil society leaders Daniel Bekele and Netsanet Demissie were also ordered to defend their case. Kassahun Kebede, however, was set free.
Ethiopia's greatest civil rights advocate Professor Mesfin Woldemariam was also ordered to defend the charge of outrage against the constitutional order. The court reasoned that eventhough as a non-member of the CUD council he didn't have collective responsiblity, professor Mesfin had made speeches advocating the dismantling of the constitutional order and institutions.
The Kangaroo trial continues Monday.
I will write more on it later.
- Lidetu's third non-sense
- There are unconfirmed reports that the Chinese hos...
- More on Samuel Gebru
- I was wrong
- The Federal police members have now forced their w...
- Classes stop as Addis Ababa University students pr...
- Losing the plot
- Ali Sero's non-sensical claim
- Teshome Toga and Legal Professionals: Ethio-Zagol'...
- Meles's grandiose delusional disorder gets reality...
- As promised, Roha has started the Addis Ababa Univ...
- Protesting Ethiopian soldiers jailed
- (By Ethio-Zagol) Amnesty International has a new r...
- AP risks ban in Ethiopia
- How to save one's rear
- Blogging Addis Ababa University
- Ethiopian troops to start major offensive in Somal...
- Meles does the dirty work for the Americans and ta...
- Democracy in action
- Hail Cæsar! Those who are about to die salute you!...
- Long live the spirit of Brandeis
- Mobile phones and foreign admirers
- Tsegaye Tadesse gets his windmill
- Breaking news:Court releases major newspaper publi...
- Melkam Fasika
- From lust to survival: how the value and meaning ...
- Once again...On the court
- Andragachew Tsgie and Elias Kifle are guilty, cour...
- Death sentence beckons our heroes
- Breaking news:court ruled defendants to defend the...
- Postponed again
- Scene from Women's Great Run
- Court adjourned for tomorrow
- Ethio-Zagol Post diaries
- ▼ April (36)