"I saw burned out villages. I remember passing a number of villages that were empty other than the elderly and sick," Eileen Skinnider, assistant coordinator for Ethiopia, told the news conference via an Internet link from Canada.
We didn't pass one commercial vehicle ... I saw women and children chased away (by soldiers) trying to collect water from wells ... I saw small groups of men living in the bush.
Tuesday, September 04, 2007
While preachers of Ethiopian unity are sitting silently, Ogaden is burning!
It is not quite a Darfur. But Medecins Sans Frontieres' (MSF) draws an equally ghastly picture of the Ogaden region in Ethiopia. Here is the report by Reuters.
Now I want to challenge everyone who cries for Emama Ethiopia when protesters are killed in Addis Ababa. Are people living in the Ogaden region non-Ethiopians? Are their lives lesser in weight than the lives of Addis Ababa's protesters? Is our love for Ethiopia limited to some people and the whole geography, or do we love all Ethiopians? Are we still going to tell our Ogaden brothers that we are one when we have stood silently in the face of the cruelty that they are being subjected to ? ...And what is Ethiopian unity? What does the U in the CUDP stand for?
- December (2)
- November (5)
- October (25)
- The superlative Haile
- HR 2003: The Final Push
- Burmese bloggers - Is the Internet Creating Haberm...
- Yacob's Call
- The way forward
- Here is a comment about the recent problem in Kini...
- Made in diaspora
- Repression is back
- CUD and Democracy: An exchange
- Kinijit and democracy
- It is not Hailu Vs. Brehanu
- Meles stifles TPLF dissidents
- Breaking News: Yeka Woreda Police releases ceremon...
- Organizers of the ceremony in honor of Birtukan Mi...
- Today on EZ Post
- Will Conners on Slate
- Addis Press Corps: My observations
- SMS Back In Ethiopia
- What Has Happened to Holy Joe?
- MELKAM MILLENNIUM TO ALL ETHIOPIANS
- Our challenge
- No One is Indispensable says Kinijit Leader
- Hailu Shawel gets the clearance to travel to the U...
- What is going on within Kinijit?
- While preachers of Ethiopian unity are sitting sil...
- The Millennium Fiasco(Part 2)
- WFP Asked to Withdraw from the Ogaden
- British Embassy opposed UN Fact Finding Mission to...
- August (20)
- July (13)
- June (17)
- May (14)
- April (36)
- March (43)
- February (17)
- January (10)