EMF broke the news about the defection of Samson Woldeyohannes, Ethiopian MP.
You don't have to be a political junkie to know who Samson is. He was elected for parliament from Awassa under the Kinijit ticket in May 2005. When Kinijit leaders were imprisoned in October 2005 after they set preconditions to join parliament, Samson refused to abide by the party's decision and joined parliament and the CUD caucus.
In December 2005, he brought Kestedemena(Rainbow) party back to life and declared himself to be representing the party. EPRDF's election board duly gave him authentication and certification. Mind you, kestedemena(the party of Professor Mesfin, Brehanu Nega, Yacob Hailemariam, Befekadu Degfe , Birtukan Mideksa) was dissolved when Kinijit members formed one party in September 2005.
After forming a splinter group, Samson voted with EPRDF most of the time; and not even once in parliamentary debates, raised the ordeals of jailed Kinijit leaders, the issue that even tarnished figures like Lidetu Ayalew had raised repeatedly.
Now Samson defected to Belgium and claimed that he was a CUD member in parliament. He claimed he was imprisoned and terrorized. Oh yes, we are told that he was threatened to join parliament.
Commenters on this forum have several times suggested that one less man working for EPRDF means a bit of step to democracy. May be. I don't, however, agree that one more lier and opportunist being considered as hero of the pro-democracy movement means one step away from dictatorship. In fact it is anti-democratic and wildly unfair to genuine pro-democracy fighters who have sacrificed so much to see freedom and equality reign in Ethiopia.
Samson is a lier and opportunist to the core. If we don't call him that and treat him as he is, we end up being hypocritical when we attack EPRDF leaders for committing the same deeds.
- Breaking news: Protesters demand the release of po...
- Talk and truth
- Precedent set
- Postponed again
- Meles and comparative politics
- Blogging for the future
- Blogs disappear again
- The legacy of Meles
- Man tortured to death
- Up the Creek Without a Paddle: Interview with Mele...
- Meles on Somalia...What a dumb dictator!
- Is there something behind the adjournment?
- Breaking news: Court Adjourned again! again!
- Sham trial resumes
- Tomorrow....What will happen?
- New look blog
- The Ethiopian government denies mutilation of its ...
- Are you feeling lucky, punk?
- Mugabe and Meles
- Why the Mediation is failing
- The incredible hypocrisy of the west
- Mediation stalled
- Sad departure for AP reporter
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking news: OLF behind the destruction of runne...
- A year of blogging
- Siye Abrha's trial adjourned....again!
- Mesfin Woldemariam faces prison sentence in anoth...
- The Meles administration is playing a sly diplomat...
- Was it Al-Qaida's revenge?
- Breaking news: Court adjourned
- Back to the trial and our leaders
- It seems that nobody is believing Eritrea's flat d...
- Is Eritrea involved?
- Is it twelve or five? No one for sure knows the nu...
- Surprising turn of events in the tourists kidnappi...
- There are unconfirmed reports from my sources in A...
- Reuters says the number of the kidnapped tourists ...
- AP has more on the kidnapping story. It puts the ...
- Breaking news: French tourists kidnapped in Ethiop...
- US ambassador working to get political prisoners r...
- ▼ March (43)