Donald Yamamoto's quiet diplomacy to get the leaders of CUD released may be working, American Embassy sources who wanted anonymity told this blogger today. Yamamoto has been pressing for the release of the political prisoners for two months now. The sources said his style is to avoid the megaphone diplomacy which made the wavering Tim Clark, Head of EC's delegation in Addis Ababa, to fall out of favor with both the EPRDF and the CUD.
Yamamoto is also winning the hearts of Ethiopians working at the US embassy who were shocked with the abrasive and biased approach of his predecessor, Vicki Huddelstone. "With him, it is diplomatic niceties coupled with a judicious approach to the issue. He is doing his job well; and there has never been as big hope as now that the prisoners will be released and political dialog will re-open ," one source commented.
Court sources thought that there wouldn't be significant happening on March 5th, the day the trial of the CUD leaders resume. More mediation efforts will be made by American Embassy and the Ephrem Isaac group before the court makes its decision. The chief mediator, Professor Ephrem Issac, is back in Addis.
EZ's message: Yamamoto's efforts are commendable. Let's write him a letter of appreciation and encouragement for his efforts.
- Breaking news: Protesters demand the release of po...
- Talk and truth
- Precedent set
- Postponed again
- Meles and comparative politics
- Blogging for the future
- Blogs disappear again
- The legacy of Meles
- Man tortured to death
- Up the Creek Without a Paddle: Interview with Mele...
- Meles on Somalia...What a dumb dictator!
- Is there something behind the adjournment?
- Breaking news: Court Adjourned again! again!
- Sham trial resumes
- Tomorrow....What will happen?
- New look blog
- The Ethiopian government denies mutilation of its ...
- Are you feeling lucky, punk?
- Mugabe and Meles
- Why the Mediation is failing
- The incredible hypocrisy of the west
- Mediation stalled
- Sad departure for AP reporter
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking news: OLF behind the destruction of runne...
- A year of blogging
- Siye Abrha's trial adjourned....again!
- Mesfin Woldemariam faces prison sentence in anoth...
- The Meles administration is playing a sly diplomat...
- Was it Al-Qaida's revenge?
- Breaking news: Court adjourned
- Back to the trial and our leaders
- It seems that nobody is believing Eritrea's flat d...
- Is Eritrea involved?
- Is it twelve or five? No one for sure knows the nu...
- Surprising turn of events in the tourists kidnappi...
- There are unconfirmed reports from my sources in A...
- Reuters says the number of the kidnapped tourists ...
- AP has more on the kidnapping story. It puts the ...
- Breaking news: French tourists kidnapped in Ethiop...
- US ambassador working to get political prisoners r...
- ▼ March (43)