The Ethiopian Federal Police quoted eye-witness reports to allege that the monuments of Ethiopia's great long distance runners, Abebe Bikila and Mamo Wolde, were destroyed by OLF operatives in Addis Ababa. The monuments had stood at St. Josef church in the capital for years. The Federal Police said OLF had previously claimed both runners belonged to Oromiya and the monuments were erected without the consent of the Oromo people.
"OLF has been destabilizing the country for many years. This is just another attempt by the terrorist group to spew fear among the Ethiopian people," Commander Demsash Hailu, Federal police spokesperson told local press today. Commander Demsash also indicated that the federal police suspects Shabeiya and Brehane Mewa's Kinijit International might have helped OLF's operation. "The vocal diaspora has shown that it is in bed with Shaebiya. We don't rule out the involvement of Brehane Mewa in the destruction of the monuments," Demsash said.
Meanwhile, Zeru Hagos of Aigaforum.com has called the act "genocidal" , pressed the Ethiopian government to swiftly bring the perpetrators of the act to justice and condemned the DC based extremist groups for sending money to the "criminals".
For the EPRDFites who have long ago forgotten to distinguish truth from humour, the above is not a fact. Spare me from comedian Daniel's fate.
- Breaking news: Protesters demand the release of po...
- Talk and truth
- Precedent set
- Postponed again
- Meles and comparative politics
- Blogging for the future
- Blogs disappear again
- The legacy of Meles
- Man tortured to death
- Up the Creek Without a Paddle: Interview with Mele...
- Meles on Somalia...What a dumb dictator!
- Is there something behind the adjournment?
- Breaking news: Court Adjourned again! again!
- Sham trial resumes
- Tomorrow....What will happen?
- New look blog
- The Ethiopian government denies mutilation of its ...
- Are you feeling lucky, punk?
- Mugabe and Meles
- Why the Mediation is failing
- The incredible hypocrisy of the west
- Mediation stalled
- Sad departure for AP reporter
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking news: OLF behind the destruction of runne...
- A year of blogging
- Siye Abrha's trial adjourned....again!
- Mesfin Woldemariam faces prison sentence in anoth...
- The Meles administration is playing a sly diplomat...
- Was it Al-Qaida's revenge?
- Breaking news: Court adjourned
- Back to the trial and our leaders
- It seems that nobody is believing Eritrea's flat d...
- Is Eritrea involved?
- Is it twelve or five? No one for sure knows the nu...
- Surprising turn of events in the tourists kidnappi...
- There are unconfirmed reports from my sources in A...
- Reuters says the number of the kidnapped tourists ...
- AP has more on the kidnapping story. It puts the ...
- Breaking news: French tourists kidnapped in Ethiop...
- US ambassador working to get political prisoners r...
- ▼ March (43)