The Federal High Court yesterday ruled that the prosecutor had presented enough evidence showing Professor Mesfin Woldemariam had instigated students to riot in April 2001 and ordered him to defend the case. If he is found guilty after the defense, he will serve long prison term.
Professor Mesfin and Brehanu Nega were arrested in April 2001 after Addis Ababa University students demonstrated, calling for more academic freedom. The public prosecutor charged them of forming illegal party; and instigating students for uprising. Professor Mesfin's Ethiopian Human Rights Council had organized a discussion on Academic rights for Addis Ababa University students prior to the demonstration. Both were speakers in the discussion. The prosecutor argued that they instigated violence by telling students to fight for their academic rights. Both have been appearing in court even since.
Brehanu Nega was cleared of both charges by the court. Professor Mesfin was told to defend the second charge. Professor Mesfin is famous for his advocacy of non-violence and individual rights.
Courts in Ethiopia have become government agents in stifling free speech in the country.
- Breaking news: Protesters demand the release of po...
- Talk and truth
- Precedent set
- Postponed again
- Meles and comparative politics
- Blogging for the future
- Blogs disappear again
- The legacy of Meles
- Man tortured to death
- Up the Creek Without a Paddle: Interview with Mele...
- Meles on Somalia...What a dumb dictator!
- Is there something behind the adjournment?
- Breaking news: Court Adjourned again! again!
- Sham trial resumes
- Tomorrow....What will happen?
- New look blog
- The Ethiopian government denies mutilation of its ...
- Are you feeling lucky, punk?
- Mugabe and Meles
- Why the Mediation is failing
- The incredible hypocrisy of the west
- Mediation stalled
- Sad departure for AP reporter
- Blogs unblocked
- Breaking news: OLF behind the destruction of runne...
- A year of blogging
- Siye Abrha's trial adjourned....again!
- Mesfin Woldemariam faces prison sentence in anoth...
- The Meles administration is playing a sly diplomat...
- Was it Al-Qaida's revenge?
- Breaking news: Court adjourned
- Back to the trial and our leaders
- It seems that nobody is believing Eritrea's flat d...
- Is Eritrea involved?
- Is it twelve or five? No one for sure knows the nu...
- Surprising turn of events in the tourists kidnappi...
- There are unconfirmed reports from my sources in A...
- Reuters says the number of the kidnapped tourists ...
- AP has more on the kidnapping story. It puts the ...
- Breaking news: French tourists kidnapped in Ethiopia
- US ambassador working to get political prisoners r...
- ▼ March (43)