This may end up appearing to be a wild guess after the court declares its decision. I am willing to take the risk though.
From talking to diplomats, lawyers and some government insiders, this is what I think the Federal High Court in charge of the "Kinijit trial" will do tomorrow or whenever it declares its decision. Also, I went through some court decisions on political trials and observed a consistent attempt to make them appear reasonable and fair by the judges.
1) The "Genocide" charge against the CUD defendants has earned Meles and his regime a huge embarrassment and drew lots of criticisms from the int'l community. It was later reduced to a crime of "attempted genocide " : The amended charge will fully be dropped against all the defendants.
2) In an attempt to convince the world that the Kaliti trial is not a sham trial, the "court" will order the prosecution to reduce some of the charges to lesser ones resulting in the release of some defendants on bail.
3) The "court" will order the prosecution to frame a new charge against some members of the free press under the "press law" . This may not include Sisay Agena, Eskindir Nega and Faisl Yenealem.
4) Some defendants among the top leadership and high profile personalities which includes Bertukan Mideksa, Prof. Mesfin , Dr. Yaekob will be released on bail as the charges against them will be reduced to a bailable ones.
5) Most of the female defendants will be released
6) Charges against 10 -15 defendants will entirely be dropped as their names have not even be mentioned while the prosecution presented his false documentary evidences and witnesses. This includes Seble, Tadeos , Beruk and some seven more defendants
7) Meles's court will order those defendants whom Meles considers as very dangerous threat to his power to enter their defenses claiming that the prosecution has a satisfactory case against them. This group includes Hailu shawel , Berhanu Nega.
List of defendants I expect will be released on Friday or afterwards in one way or the other.
1) Seblework Tadesse
2) Debebe Eshetu
3) Dr. Tadewos Bogale
4) Nigist G/ Hiwot
5) Kidist Bekele
6) Beruk Kebede
7) Bertukan Mideksa
8) Serkalem Fasil
9) Prof. Mesfin Woldemariam
10) Daniel Bekele -charges will be dropped
11) Netsanet Demissie- charges will be dropped
12) Yeneneh Mulatu
13) Dr. Yaekob Woldemariam
14) Feleke Tibebu
15) Dawit Kebede
16) Dereje H/Mariam
My view is Meles will try to make the court decision to be viewed impartial and free.
What would be the responses of the defendants that are ordered to enter their defense?
I am sure when asked by the court whether they are intending to prepare their defense, they would tell the court that they will not defend themselves. Then what will happen? The court will not automatically convict them even if it assumes that there is prima-facie case against them, it would go on and examine perhaps by calling additional witnesses, or evidences to make its judgment.